calcium levels high

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

acolotto

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys

So I tested my calcium and everything else yesterday a day after my weekly water change and it was at 540! But my alkalinity was at 11 dKh. And all other tests ammonia nitrites nitrates phosphates were at 0. Should be worried? I know high calcium usually mean low dKh but its not. Does this mean I need more coral lol

That's high but not bad. What saltmix are you using? I exclusively use Kent for that exact reason. It mixes up to 550 ppm which I like since I'm nearing 200 corals in my 46 gallon ;)

Can you run it down to the lfs for a second opinion to rule out a defective test kit.

I use reef crystals. I only have about 5 corals and 5 fish(1 clarkii, lawnmower blenny, spotted mandarin, coral beauty and a PJ) in my 55ut just ordered 12 frags so that'll prob make a difference!

Can you run it down to the lfs for a second opinion to rule out a defective test kit.

Yes I was gonna do that after work today to double check but I triple tested yesterday and got same results

Also all livestock including anemone and shrimp are doing great so was just wondering why it could be so high

Salinity shouldn't have a issue with calcium being high but its 1.025

I read a report a while back by someone who did significant testing on those levels in the aquarium. Lots of numbers and chemical jargon. But in the end there were a few points that might help your confidence.
1. Calc above around 420-440 ( I don't remember exact numbers) do not harm corals but don't help either. Coral growth peaks in that range and doesn't get better with added calc. Nor was there any harm with excessive levels EXCEPT on your equipment. Pumps etc will see scaling.
2. Alk above 12dKh will enhance coral growth even more. There is no maximum dKh for corals however you will see excessive scaling on the equipment when it gets too high (above 12dKh).

Based on that you are not in a life or death situation with your corals. But you equipment may see excessive scaling. The fact that both numbers are very high indicates you may also have very high Magnesium levels otherwise the carbonates and calc would precipitate out of solution.
If you've recently opened a new bucket of salt i would put the lid on tight and roll it around and flip it over many times to stir it up. I have found that sometimes the salt mixture is not well distributed within the bucket very well.

Are you dosing any additives? It seems strange that your calc would be that high right out of the bag. I too use reef crystals, and i would love if it mixed the high for me

No dosing and it is a new bucket of salt, I will mix up the bucket tonight and again before my weekly water change on Saturday. But other then that I should have no worry about it being high since nothing is being harmed or looks like its being affected by it? Actually in the last month since I started using reef crystals (was using normal instant ocean sea salt before) my coral growth has seemed to take off. My frogspawn has grown 3 new heads and my Duncan has grown like 6 and my welso lobo has a couple new folds

Also I don't have a test for my magnesium but will order one and will have my LFS test for it. But if it is high what should I do and is it bad?

Also I don't have a test for my magnesium but will order one and will have my LFS test for it. But if it is high what should I do and is it bad?

I'm not sure there is anything you can do to lower magnesium if you're not dosing it. Corals will absorb it to help with absorbing carbonates. That is why the reef salt you've switched too has it included. Of course there is one easy way to lower magnesium; add more corals to absorb more magnesium. I should try that on my wife because my mag level is elevated slightly. "honey, we HAVE to go get a coupe more corals."

And i read you just ordered more frags. That will even things out eventually, frags tend to arrive "asleep" and then start absorbing calc and alk at greater rates after they're more established. If you want to lower your levels immediately got can do a water change, but if you're just adding water that mixes too high it won't fix the problem

Mine was the same on startup using oceanic salt but now that I'm adding corals it's using up the calcium is dropping

Yes api but had LFS test and same results 520 calcium and 11 dkh

It's not possible, unless they used an API test kit as well. The calcium test in API's reef master kit is garbage IMO/IME. I'm betting your CA is in the high 300's.

It's not possible, unless they used an API test kit as well. The calcium test in API's reef master kit is garbage IMO/IME. I'm betting your CA is in the high 300's.

Nope took it to another lfs they use salifert test kits and tested 440 calcium and 11 dkh but who knows I'm not really worried about it anymore all my inhabitants are doing great and coral is growing.

Back
Top Bottom