Calcium, magnesium and alk dropping.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Animal-Chin

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm confused. I've always maintained my levels with water changes and i havent change my schedule. About a month ago i noticed my magnesium was at 1100 so i bought a supliment to add. Since i started dosing my tank is going nuts . Every thing is getting lower and lower. Today after a water change my levels

Calcium 360
Magnesium 959
Alk 6.5

Do i just keep dosing until they all rise? Are my corals really depleating the water this fast or can something else be doing it?

Couple things. Are you sure your test kit is still good? Also, have you tested a mixed batch of saltwater before adding it? I know few weeks ago some members remarked about a bad batch of salt......I think it was Red Sea Coral Pro salt but I don't remember for sure.

Ya i just bought the test kits they are all new. Ill test the salt, good call. I guess until my levels are up i just keep dosing?

When calcification occurs, that is either corals growing their hard skeletons, coralline algae growing or abiotic precipitation, there is a defined amount of calcium, alk and mag used in this process. For every 2ppm mag used, there is aprox 18ppm calcium and 2.7 dKH alk used.
If your mag was 1100 and is now 950 (drop of 150 ppm), that would mean your calcium has dropped 1350 ppm and your alk 202.5 dKH. Obviously there isn't that much calcium or alk in the water column which would tell me either your test kits are bad (or you are reading the results incorrectly) or you did alot of water changes with salt very low in all 3 elements.

Google advanced aquarist calcium/alk great info and how to balance them. Written by Randy Holmes helped me understand and great advice on correcting problem.

Looks like i should retest and see if i get the same results and ill google that article, thanks for all the info...

Not sure if this helps or not, but I always shake the new salt around in its bag before I open and mix it. Who knows LOL

I was using the Red Sea coral pro and got a bad batch I think but I've been dosing two little fishes C-Balance and all three are slowly rising

Back
Top Bottom