Calcium over dose/shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Readingexcalibur

Aquarium Advice Addict
I accidentally poorer a whole cap of purple up instead of a half cap into my 28g. Bottle says a half cap is for 50g. Am I in trouble?

Secondly, came home to find my torch coral tenticals ripped up and dangling. Could this be the peppermint shrimp? It looks like physical damage.

Readingexcalibur said:
I accidentally poorer a whole cap of purple up instead of a half cap into my 28g. Bottle says a half cap is for 50g. Am I in trouble?

Secondly, came home to find my torch coral tenticals ripped up and dangling. Could this be the peppermint shrimp? It looks like physical damage.

IMO I wouldn't worry about that Purple Up stuff. Before I knew any better I poured half the bottle in all at once in my BC29. Cloudy for about 2 hours but nothing happened. I didn't use it anymore after reading it really doesn't do anything. What I did was introduce a rock covered with Coraline algae. That's what I was using it for. I'm assuming you the same? If not you don't need it to raise cal just use a 2 part dosing like Kent's A&B if that.

What learning as I go along is NOTHING beats a good weekly water change with good quality salt mix ;)

Thanks. I do water changes every 4-5 days. Lol but my lfs ran out of water tonight. Came home to find my torch coral with its tenticals torn up and bleeding? Weird. I think I moved the angel of my power head a little to much and may have put a lot of pressure on it. Hopefuly the pep shrimp isn't the 1 in a million that fine dine on corals.

Agains thanks. It's been cloudy for about an hour now.

I had low calcium and I overdosed purple up intentionally for a week or two to see if it would bring my calcium up (it didn't) with no I'll effects, I probably nearly double dosed 5 out 7 days straight. Just a little cloudy for a while.

Well, woke up this morning to find my corals all stretched out and as large as I've ever seen them! In a way, the overdose seemed to improve my corals. Maybe I was really low? Hmmmmm

There could also be sugars in the purple-up too. This will give you greater polyp expansion. Or they're just really happy with you!! :)

Well I went down to "tanked" today and got some good deals. Got a red folded brain and some button polyps (blue and green). Hoping they enjoy the extra calc in the tank as well.

I'm jealous... I'd love to check out that place.
Best of luck with your new additions Excalibur!

It is actually really small. But when wade or redneck are the ones helping you grab your corals and fish, it makes for a good conversation piece.

I have a small covering of hairline algae. That would probably cover the area where the coralline should be. I have this because I had an emergency 2 weeks ago and had to do a tap with declor water change. Phosphate heaven!

Think if I held a Syphon over it and scrubbed it off with a tooth brush, it would be better for the coralline?

Back
Top Bottom