calcium problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shawn_Schlorff

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i can't get my calcium up over 170-180 and my nitrates are spikeing every couple of days but i can't figure out why i changed the feeding of my fish to 2 small porsions a day can anyone help?

I would say testing error. Calcium at 170 is pretty much impossible.
When you say nitrates are spiking, do you mean they rise and then fall on it's own? If so, I would again suspect testing error.

sorry calusiom is 340 and nitrates are not comeing back down they go up in a couple of day i do a water change and bring them down

What salt are you using? What are you using to try to raise the calcium? Have you tested alk and magnesium?
What kind of filtration do you have? Rising nitrates is a normal occurance. You can lower them with water changes, use of a refugium with marco algea, deep sand bed, etc. What you are seeing sounds normal. How many fish do you have, how often do you feed and what do you feed?

Hmmmm...that's alot of questions. ;)

my sand bed ios about 2 inches deep and i run a a fluval 304 filter i feed the 2 clown fish and 1 shrimp and i serpent star fish 5 ml cube of brine shrimp a day half in the morning and the other half in at night salt is the stuff my pet store uses i dont know the name i through out the bow the bags say not for resale

If your nitrates are spiking I would cut back on the feedings. Feed only every 2 some times every 3 days. That should help a little.

thank you could makeing the bed deeper help?

For sure it will help. One thing you should try to keep in mind when you feed is the actual size of the fishes stomach. One of those 5ml cubes are HUGE compared to a clownfishes stomach, so there is no way they can eat all of that. It will just sit in the tank and rot. When you feed it next the old food will most likely be still hanging around on the rocks or wherever, and it just keeps building up.

Just to chime in with my own question. Are calcium suppliments such as found at local pharmacies, good or bad?

Back
Top Bottom