Calcium Question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ppavlik

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I have a 55gl that is about 6 months old. I have a yellow tang, Niger trigger and a tomato clown. About 26 blue leg hermits and an emerald crab. I also have a ton of what look like feather duster tubes and little "pods" in my sand and filter. OH and I have about 30lbs of LR and am ordering another 30 or 40 this weekend.

My question is... I want to start adding some calcium supplements to the tank to help with the coraline growth. Do I need to take the carbon out of my HOB filter? will the carbon remove the supplements? I have a penguin 330 with bio media in the baskets and 2 filter cartridges.

TIA

I do not believe carbon will remove calcium. Someone correct me if I'm wrong...but I've never read that or heard mention of it in a forum.

And it's an excellent question to ask!

Be sure to use high grade carbon, and replace at least every week :)

that is interesting, i never thought about carbon removing calcium. you would think it would, activated carbon is simply designed to pick up ions and organic compounds in the water, if my information is correct.... so wouldnt it pick up calcium too?

FF, this is a question for you!

This info came from FLUVAL "Carbon should always be removed during medication. It has also been noted that carbon will absorb a large percentage of many of the nutients in plant fertilizer products." I'm asuming Calcium is also a nutrient as well.

I consulted my LFS which is pretty large and respected in the chicago area, they said to leave the carbon in the HOB. I tend to lean towards this forums opinion though. Any one else...

Let me clarify my opinion: sure I bet carbon can absorb calcium...but unless you've got a pound of it in the tank, it won't remove enough to matter.

I do a lot with freshwater planted tanks, and while I don't recommend carbon in them, I know people who use it, and have no problem with ferts being absorbed. If there was a problem, these people would never have nitrate readings. And they wouldn't have to make phosphate absorbing media.

So, carbon doesn't affect calcium enough to worry about.

thanks malkore

so would it be a better idea to run carbon only a few days monthly than continously? or just when you have a problem? i generally replace my carbon once a month...

Make sure you get good quality, high grade carbon, and put the correct amount in for your tank.

Some people run it for a few days a month, some for a week, some for a month...everyone seems to do it differently.

I was wondering the same thing... I have been seeing some people saying they run it for like 4 days a month and thats it.

I'm surprised that, until now, theres been no mention of alkalinity. Anytime I read that a 6 month old tank wants to begin adding calcium I think it is a good idea to mention...

...that you shouldn't be dosing Ca without testing/watching your Alk levels....and generally one needs to add BOTH in order to effectively raise Ca/Alk and get improved coraline growth.

Back
Top Bottom