Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-21-2004, 01:13 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Calcium Questions

My Avipora is not doing well. It does not come out fully, and it is getting a few small brown spots on it, like its dying.

PH 8.2
Amm. 0
trite 0
trate 0

I tested my calcium and it was 720. Is this possible? Is this bad or good?

What is a high Calcium level?

How do you get it down?

What is a good level?

What causes it to rise?

TIA!

Old 07-21-2004, 01:24 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
Here are a few good link:
http://www.aquariacentral.com/articles/calcium.shtml
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-0...ture/index.htm
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/mar2002/chem.htm

Those should get you started

Old 07-21-2004, 01:11 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to jackdp
A calcium level of 720 is very high...I'm not sure what would happen to corals at those levels or how you would've gotten those levels. Do you dose Calcium? Have you also checked your alkalinity levels? Calcium and Alk are closely tied. Check out those articles and post some more details.
Old 07-21-2004, 02:40 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks for the great links even though they are still kind of hard for me to understand. Is there anyone who can put it into laymen terms for me?

And, no I do not dose calcium. And I have not checked alkalinity. Thanks all.
Old 07-21-2004, 06:29 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdp
A calcium level of 720 is very high...I'm not sure what would happen to corals at those levels or how you would've gotten those levels. Do you dose Calcium? Have you also checked your alkalinity levels? Calcium and Alk are closely tied. Check out those articles and post some more details.
Isn't pH a measure of alkalinity (high ph = more basic or alkaline) or do you mean something else?

Don't forget to check AA Sponsors first.

www.macna2006.com
saberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 08:21 PM   #6
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by revhtree
Thanks for the great links even though they are still kind of hard for me to understand. Is there anyone who can put it into laymen terms for me?

And, no I do not dose calcium. And I have not checked alkalinity. Thanks all.
Check the alk level and see where that's at. Typically high Ca will be the result of a declining alk, low Mg or faulty reading on the test kit. In any event, the absolute easiest fix is a few simple water changes over the next week. High Ca like that can cause quite a few issues with most scleractinians and especially clams. Not to mention an all out snowstorm. I would get it fixed as soon as the water is ready.

If you get a chance, post the test results on you newly made SW after it's been aerated for at least 12 hrs.

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-21-2004, 08:26 PM   #7
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by saberry
Quote:
Isn't pH a measure of alkalinity (high ph = more basic or alkaline) or do you mean something else?
pH is not a measure of alkalinity, it's a measure of acidity. Higher pH values indicate a more "basic" solution (as you said) or Measure of the concentration of hydrogen ions (as the acronym indicates) but not a measure of alkalinity. Alkalinity in SW is the measure of the total hardness and only an indication of it's ability to resist changes in pH. The lower the alk, the more influenced pH becomes.

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-21-2004, 09:47 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Steve your just to smart big fella.

Mike

www.reeffrontiers.com
mojoreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 11:10 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-s
Quote:
Originally Posted by saberry
Quote:
pH is not a measure of alkalinity, it's a measure of acidity. Higher pH values indicate a more "basic" solution (as you said) or Measure of the concentration of hydrogen ions (as the acronym indicates) but not a measure of alkalinity. Alkalinity in SW is the measure of the total hardness and only an indication of it's ability to resist changes in pH. The lower the alk, the more influenced pH becomes.

Cheers
Steve
I knew I should have paid more attention in science class.

Don't forget to check AA Sponsors first.

www.macna2006.com
saberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 11:23 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Steve S. never stops amazing me with his knowledge.. If I ever get as knowledgable as Big Steve ( which will never happen) i'd quit my regular job and just help other folks with all their problems.......ummm....kinda like.......**** thats what Steve does

Tags
calcium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com