Calcium reactor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jcj0033

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I have a reef tank and I read that if you want to do sps you should have a calcium reactor. My question is how important are they and what do they do ,

That is not true at all. Sps require stability and excellent water conditions plus high lighting. If you can manage those three sps will do fine. A calcium reactor maintains calcium at the level you want your calcium to be at. However, unless you have lots of colonies, calcium can be maintained via water changes. I grow acros, montis, seriatopa just fine in my tank with no reactor.

No reactor on my tank either. You need to maintain proper calcium and alkalinity for good growth, but you can do that through your weekly water changes. Calcium reactors aren't necessary, but if you fill a tank full of SPS corals you might want to consider a salt mix with higher values of calcium, alk, and mag. I liked Kent and Red Sea Pro when I wanted to increase the levels. If that isn't enough, you can dose your tank to increase these levels. Bulkreefsupply carries everything you'd need for this without the high cost of a calcium reactor.

Back
Top Bottom