Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-22-2004, 11:57 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Sound great! My alk stays around 3-3.5 but I can never seem to get my CA levels above 375. I'll have to pick up some 2 part today or tomorrow.
With an Alk of 3-3.5 meq/l you should have a Ca level of around ~420 ppm. So your Alk is good, its just that your Ca is low. You just need to dose more of the Turbo Ca bring the Ca level up.

Here is a good article to help solving Ca/Alk issues:
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm

Old 03-22-2004, 05:31 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well, I use oceanic so will I not need calcium supplements? I am going to do water change today if trates are high. If the oceanic salt provides enough calcium will I just need to get the alk b-ionic? I heard b-ionic is better than kalk and its easier than dri method cuz if u do the drip method some things an seriously go wrong.

Old 03-22-2004, 05:37 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
If the oceanic salt provides enough calcium will I just need to get the alk b-ionic?
Depends on the rate of Ca depletion of the tank. Probably not though. When coralline really gets going, it can put a huge drain on Alk and Ca. Then adding in corals will further drain the Ca and Alk levels. You also must remember that with every 1 DKH of decrease, Ca also drops by about ~26 ppm. If you don't add those levels back to the tank, soon your Alk will be high and your Ca will be low. This is why balanced additives are a must.

Quote:
I heard b-ionic is better than kalk and its easier than dri method cuz if u do the drip method some things an seriously go wrong
Um, no... Overdosing the Alk portion of B-Ionic can have the same affect as overdosing Kalk: pH through the roof and abiotic precipitation of Ca and Alk.
Old 03-22-2004, 05:40 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I also dont know my levels so will I need to buy tests or will the b-ionic not require it
Old 03-22-2004, 05:53 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I also dont know my levels so will I need to buy tests or will the b-ionic not require it
One of the cardinal rules of reef keeping is to always test before dosing chemicals. So, Yes!! You need Alk and Ca test kits. I suggest Salifert kits.
Old 03-22-2004, 06:15 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

ok, and if i get both ca and alk b-ionics dont I add every other day?
Old 03-22-2004, 06:20 PM   #17

You add acording to what you need based on the amount used up..Some people use it daily some use it every other day..etc...But you must test to see what your needs are..
Old 03-22-2004, 10:10 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
I"m considerint getting a pH monitor. I"m worried that my pH might be fluctuating too much when dripping kalk or using other additives.
Old 03-22-2004, 10:16 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

teen wrote:

Quote:
ok, and if i get both ca and alk b-ionics dont I add every other day?
Like Don said, it depends on what your needs are. If you begin dosing and notice that your Ca and Alk parameters are going too high, you need to cut back on the amount. Its trial and error for a little while before you know what your tank needs.

jamal-188 wrote:

Quote:
I"m considerint getting a pH monitor. I"m worried that my pH might be fluctuating too much when dripping kalk or using other additives.
Getting a pH monitor is never a bad idea. They are much more accurate than those darn test kits and much easier to use. Dare I say its fun to test the pH with a pH pin or monitor?

8)
Old 03-22-2004, 10:40 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggen

Getting a pH monitor is never a bad idea. They are much more accurate than those darn test kits and much easier to use. Dare I say its fun to test the pH with a pH pin or monitor?

8)
LOL, all the pH test kits I've had are pretty difficult to get an exact match.

Tags
calcium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com