Calcium Supplement Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smoothie7

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have been using Reef Code A and Reef Code B made by Brightwell Aquatics in my 29 Gallon cube and it seems to raise the calcium a little but I have been using Calcion-P also made by Brightwell Aquatics in my 90 gallon and it by far IMHO is a better product. The problem that I have is I am going to start using Calcion-P in both aquariums however it is a granular not a liquid. In my 90 I pour the Calcion-P into my filter sock and it dissolves into the aquarium and works great. However, I don't have that luxury in my cube. Would you guys recommend just pouring it into the middle chamber and let it just flow through the pump and back into the aquarium or would you dissolve it in aquarium water first and then pour it into the tank? Thanks.

Disolve 100%. I've read adding the powder is actually not good for your tank cause it takes about an hour for parts of the calcium to acutally break down and if you add the powder that can effect coral or more sensitive things in your tank. Again, we all "hear" things but I think its better safe than sorry. I mix my calcium in RO water, let it sit an hour then add to the tank...

I suppose that could make sense. I have just always let it dissolve in the sump filter sock. I thought that would be a good way to get it to dissolve before going into the main tank. Once I get through the current salt (MarineMix) that I am using I am switching over to Reef Crystals so then should not need as much Calcium supplement

are you packed with coral? If they are growing you'll have to replace no matter what. Especially on a smaller tank, you gotta think the actual water volume is probably only 20 gallons, coral are going to deplete that calcium pretty quick if you have a lot...

Do you know exactly how much calcium your tank is using daily? Are you testing alk and magnesium too? If your mag is to low you'll have issues maintaining calcium and alk

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom