Calcium Supplements?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TeenReefer

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recently got new lighting for my tank and want to start adding some corals within the next month. I have purple coralline algea spreadin like crazy in my tank right now, but i know corals need calcium and other supplements for their exoskeletons. What supplements should i get (i looked at complete reef and kent products) and hom do you measure the level (test kits and ppm?). Also would like to know ideal calcium levels of a reef tank. Thanks!

If you alredy had a large amount of corals I would say maybe you need supplement but since you are just starting with them I would say that weekly PWC would be enough. The fact that you have good corraline algea tells you that calcium is OK for now. I have a whole tank full of corals and I still just do weekly PWC and calcium stays between 375-425. If for some reason I have to go a couple weeks before PWC I use Tropic Marin Bio calcium. but most of the time I just do PWC. Get a Calcium test done before you add any. More than likely you wont need any.

Back
Top Bottom