Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-09-2003, 08:53 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
calcium test

I seem to be suffering a massive calcium build-up in my tank, or at least the tester I am using says I am. I suffered a major die-off of my turbo snail. All of them!!! I have tested the water and all is as it should be. I have changed nothing in my tank. I just noticed my snails falling off the rock for the last several days. Dead!!! I immedieately thought of the calcium level for which I have never tested, thinking maybe they couldn't grow for a lack of it. But all at once? So I finally found a test kit at the not so LFS and it says that I have 1050mg\L. Oh my gosh!!! This can't be right. I have had no problem with my levels up to this point. I jsut did a water change 25%, yesterday. I put 10 new turbos in and they are ALL DEAD!!! What do you think?

I need a better tester obviously. It is hightly likely it is expired with the rate that saltwater merchandise moves in my remote location.

Please, I need some input, I think my corals are starting to suffer.

You can never have too many friends.
fishtender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 09:40 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
With a level of 1050 CA in your tank.....you would not be able to see into it, it would look like there was a blizard in your tank. What test kit did you use (my money is on Red Sea)? What are your other parameters? SG, ALK, PH, Temp, etc....What do you use to supplament your CA and ALK?

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 07:01 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist
Thanks for the input Kevin. I'm sorry, the answer we were looking for is "Seatest Calcium Test Kit". But thanks for playing our game. LOL
As for the parameters.
SG- .023
ALk- ?

I have been slowly over the course of a month been changing my tank over to RO water that I purchase at the local market. I have been fighting a bad algae problem since I installed PC lighting at the beginning of Aug. I have not been supplementing with anything as to avoid feeding the **** algae. Yesterday I did add Stront., Molyb., and some Microvert. I felt so bad for my corals I couldn't stand it. This is well after the fact though.
I had a minor brainstorm laat night so first thing this morn i tested that water I get at the store and using the same test the same way, it shows a level of 425mg\L.
I alos tested my tap water and it read 400mg\L. I then tested my tank again and it is still around 1000mg\L.
I have been doing a 20 % changeout every other week. I just did one 2 days ago and I will do a 25% this afternoon between jobs. The only other thing I can think of is that maybe the salt I am using has a ton of calcium in it. I use Coralife. I have used it before, never with a problem. Maybe a bad batch? I don't know how to test that though.
By the BY. I have now lost all my turbos and 2 curlyque anemones. A moment of silence please...........

I figure that with levels this high, I would have a tank full of cement. But is my tank symptomatic of high levels of calcium? Is this what one would expect?

P.S. Turbos really reek when they die.
You can never have too many friends.
fishtender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 07:23 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
When you tested the water from the store, that was after you mixed the salt up with it...right? Something isn't right here...400 is pretty high for tap water. I would take a sample of the tank water to the LFS and have it checked for cal and alk.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
Logan J
loganj is offline   Reply With Quote

calcium, test

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com