Calcium too high??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
bioteacher said:
I may be wrong but I think that calcium precipitates out of solution when pH is too high. I think that threshold is at a pH that is above 9. He might also be saying that it is not worth worrying about calcium because a pH that high is more detrimental than the calcium would be.

I could agree with that. Low Ph will start dissolving existing deposited calcium back into solution. High Ph causes it to precipitate back out.

dKh is up to 9.3. I see a lot of people maintaining tanks at 12. Do you guys think that is what I should shoot for?

Also, as I make this increase, how quickly can I safely increase the alkalinity? I am up from 8.0 to 9.3 in about a week.

bioteacher said:
Ok, so I tested a mixed batch of saltwater. Here are the parameters:

pH 8.61
Cal 630
Sal 1.026

My tank is at

pH 8.74
Cal 600
Sal 1.026

So I guess my mix is just high in calcium. The real question is why is it not being used up more seeing as I am not dosing calcium. This leads me back to the magnesium issue. I still have not tested for that so I still have more things to look into. I am going to take some sample to the lfs for testing as well.

630ppm for a fresh batch? Wow, your salt seems to be one of the primary issues here. I have a feeling a salt change could solve most of your problems. No reason ever for calcium to ever be that high. As stated previously calcium, alk, mag, and to a lesser degree Ph are all interconnected. One out of whack will send the others out of whack as well. This is all assuming of course your test kits are accurate.

bioteacher said:
I may be wrong but I think that calcium precipitates out of solution when pH is too high. I think that threshold is at a pH that is above 9. He might also be saying that it is not worth worrying about calcium because a pH that high is more detrimental than the calcium would be.

I believe that it's not ph but alkalinity or dkh would effect precipitation.
The way I understand it is that dkh, carbonate hardness, alkalinity or whatever you want to call it , magnesium, and calcium are all connected. When one is out of wack the others will be affected by that, and your water has only so much capacity for these things so if your alk is high it takes less cal to cause precipitation.

Atleast that's how I'm trying to understand these issues. My tank runs low, I've dosed cal, kalk, used regular instant ocean, then reef crystals, dosed purple up, and now started using red sea coral pro and my calcium and alk always test low. Calcium test around 360 and alk tests around 7. So I don't know, I don't have a magnesium test kit yet. I've added an alk booster religiously with only marginal results.

Saratj1 said:
The way I understand it is that dkh, carbonate hardness, alkalinity or whatever you want to call it , magnesium, and calcium are all connected. When one is out of wack the others will be affected by that, and your water has only so much capacity for these things so if your alk is high it takes less cal to cause precipitation.

Atleast that's how I'm trying to understand these issues. My tank runs low, I've dosed cal, kalk, used regular instant ocean, then reef crystals, dosed purple up, and now started using red sea coral pro and my calcium and alk always test low. Calcium test around 360 and alk tests around 7. So I don't know, I don't have a magnesium test kit yet. I've added an alk booster religiously with only marginal results.

Saratj1 if mag is low youll never get alk and cal up thats probably your issue to op it seems your salt mix is the culprit new mix should test 420 cal if you keep using that mix youll never get calcium down save that mix until you do have low cal then use it

Madreefer420 said:
So other then it precipitating out of the water high calcium is ok other then it may raise your oh am I correct

I wouldn worry about it but i would try and get it lowered for sure tho calcium wont raise your dkh it will lower it get your dkh to 12 8-12 is safe i preferr mine high

Saratj1 said:

When the Ph goes down, it means there are more free ions so calcium carbonate (what makes up your crushed coral substrate and the skeletons of corals) can go back into solution easier. It is why you use a vinegar soak to remove calcium deposits. The Alkalinity provides buffering, so the Ph doesn't swing as much. It can also have an effect on calcium, but not as great as that of Ph IMO. I agree that a KH of closer to 8-10 would help.

Ok well I just got home from the lfs with a salifert mg test kit and seachem magnesium supplement. Armed and ready to resolve any mg issues.

Mg appears to be pretty good. Tested at 1500ppm. I didn't have a water sample with me so I have to go back to get the pH tested. Maybe a subconsciously purposeful mistake because my lfs gets there shipments on Tuesdays. I guess I will have to go back tomorrow :)

I would really think about switching to a salt lower in calcium. Regular Instant Ocean is a fine choice and is among the cheapest priced salts and is sold just about everywhere.
What is your salinity and what are you using to measure it? Unless you have been dosing, your calcium and mag levels are higher than they should be with any brand salt, even Coralife which is high in calcium to begin with.

I'm using a hydrometer and mixing to 1.025-1.026. I know that people say that those can be very unreliable. Maybe I am measuring low and I am actually mixing up stuff that is much higher....hmm maybe I need to spend more money.

Gregcoyote said:
Get a refractometer on EBay. Even if the hydrometer was off, it would have to be way off to affect Ph this much IMO.

When you use hydrometer you have to tap or flick it to get the small bubbles off of the needle this is why your readings get off ive used hydrometer for 5 years no issues

I do make sure to do the tap and flick to get air bubbles off the needle. I actually have 2 hydrometers. Both are coralife. One reads 1.025 on my regular mix. The same mix in the other hydrometer reads 1.030. I'm not sure what difference this could make to calcium or other elements but it makes me wonder.

bioteacher said:
I do make sure to do the tap and flick to get air bubbles off the needle. I actually have 2 hydrometers. Both are coralife. One reads 1.025 on my regular mix. The same mix in the other hydrometer reads 1.030. I'm not sure what difference this could make to calcium or other elements but it makes me wonder.

Wow that stinks wonder which one is correct

Here is evidence. My 2 coralife hydrometers filled with water from my tank.

Attachments

• image-2060081090.jpg
    image-2060081090.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 69
bioteacher said:
Here is evidence. My 2 coralife hydrometers filled with water from my tank.

Ya thats not good i guess i got lucky with mine

That's exactly what happened to me. Used the plastic hydrometer, tapped all bubbles off for decades, until I double checked and found I was running my reef for years on the border line. I am cheap, so I bought the cheapest $50 refractometer and it has worked fine. Only wish I had bought the one with the built in led light.

Back
Top Bottom