Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-12-2012, 04:50 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by bioteacher

I may be wrong but I think that calcium precipitates out of solution when pH is too high. I think that threshold is at a pH that is above 9. He might also be saying that it is not worth worrying about calcium because a pH that high is more detrimental than the calcium would be.
I could agree with that. Low Ph will start dissolving existing deposited calcium back into solution. High Ph causes it to precipitate back out.

Old 08-12-2012, 05:23 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice Freak

So would t that cause the calcium to go down

Old 08-12-2012, 05:25 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madreefer420
So would t that cause the calcium to go down
try to Bring your alkalinity up a lil and calcium will fall
Old 08-13-2012, 12:00 AM   #44
Aquarium Advice Freak

dKh is up to 9.3. I see a lot of people maintaining tanks at 12. Do you guys think that is what I should shoot for?

Also, as I make this increase, how quickly can I safely increase the alkalinity? I am up from 8.0 to 9.3 in about a week.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:50 AM   #45
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Ok, so I tested a mixed batch of saltwater. Here are the parameters:

pH 8.61
Cal 630
Sal 1.026

My tank is at

pH 8.74
Cal 600
Sal 1.026

So I guess my mix is just high in calcium. The real question is why is it not being used up more seeing as I am not dosing calcium. This leads me back to the magnesium issue. I still have not tested for that so I still have more things to look into. I am going to take some sample to the lfs for testing as well.
630ppm for a fresh batch? Wow, your salt seems to be one of the primary issues here. I have a feeling a salt change could solve most of your problems. No reason ever for calcium to ever be that high. As stated previously calcium, alk, mag, and to a lesser degree Ph are all interconnected. One out of whack will send the others out of whack as well. This is all assuming of course your test kits are accurate.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:04 AM   #46
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:

I may be wrong but I think that calcium precipitates out of solution when pH is too high. I think that threshold is at a pH that is above 9. He might also be saying that it is not worth worrying about calcium because a pH that high is more detrimental than the calcium would be.
I believe that it's not ph but alkalinity or dkh would effect precipitation.
The way I understand it is that dkh, carbonate hardness, alkalinity or whatever you want to call it , magnesium, and calcium are all connected. When one is out of wack the others will be affected by that, and your water has only so much capacity for these things so if your alk is high it takes less cal to cause precipitation.

Atleast that's how I'm trying to understand these issues. My tank runs low, I've dosed cal, kalk, used regular instant ocean, then reef crystals, dosed purple up, and now started using red sea coral pro and my calcium and alk always test low. Calcium test around 360 and alk tests around 7. So I don't know, I don't have a magnesium test kit yet. I've added an alk booster religiously with only marginal results.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:28 AM   #47
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratj1

The way I understand it is that dkh, carbonate hardness, alkalinity or whatever you want to call it , magnesium, and calcium are all connected. When one is out of wack the others will be affected by that, and your water has only so much capacity for these things so if your alk is high it takes less cal to cause precipitation.

Atleast that's how I'm trying to understand these issues. My tank runs low, I've dosed cal, kalk, used regular instant ocean, then reef crystals, dosed purple up, and now started using red sea coral pro and my calcium and alk always test low. Calcium test around 360 and alk tests around 7. So I don't know, I don't have a magnesium test kit yet. I've added an alk booster religiously with only marginal results.
Saratj1 if mag is low youll never get alk and cal up thats probably your issue to op it seems your salt mix is the culprit new mix should test 420 cal if you keep using that mix youll never get calcium down save that mix until you do have low cal then use it
Old 08-13-2012, 12:30 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice Freak

So other then it precipitating out of the water high calcium is ok other then it may raise your oh am I correct
Old 08-13-2012, 12:43 PM   #49
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madreefer420
So other then it precipitating out of the water high calcium is ok other then it may raise your oh am I correct
I wouldn worry about it but i would try and get it lowered for sure tho calcium wont raise your dkh it will lower it get your dkh to 12 8-12 is safe i preferr mine high
Old 08-13-2012, 04:56 PM   #50
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratj1

When the Ph goes down, it means there are more free ions so calcium carbonate (what makes up your crushed coral substrate and the skeletons of corals) can go back into solution easier. It is why you use a vinegar soak to remove calcium deposits. The Alkalinity provides buffering, so the Ph doesn't swing as much. It can also have an effect on calcium, but not as great as that of Ph IMO. I agree that a KH of closer to 8-10 would help.

Tags
calcium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com