Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-02-2006, 06:21 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG
Right... but remember that for every one calcium ion, you are taking out two carbonates.
Actually, since Ca is a 2+ ion and carbonate is a 2- ion, they would be a one to one ratio.

I hope that my replies aren't being taken as my being unappreciative of the comments given; I am just trying to figure out how I can fix this problem.

Thanks again,
Chris

Old 04-02-2006, 07:29 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Please test for mg. It should be roughly 3 times the ca level. A good set of numbers to see would be dKH 8 - 11, ca 400ppm with mg at 1200 - 1250 ppm or ca 450ppm with mg at 1350ppm and of course ph 8.1 - 8.3

This is a good general read and may help..

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/alkalinity.htm

Peace.

Old 04-02-2006, 09:22 PM   #13
JG
Aquarium Advice FINatic

"Actually, since Ca is a 2+ ion and carbonate is a 2- ion, they would be a one to one ratio."

Nice catch - I was thinking " bicarbonate ion " which has a 1- charge while thinking of Kents Superbuffer which used sodium bicarbonate as one of the buffering agents.
Old 04-02-2006, 10:05 PM   #14
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

My calcium stays at 420 with just PWC twice a week. I use oceanic salt. I`ve never tested it before it goes in but I will next time. If you have corals you will experience a depletion of calcium and trace elements. This can easily be restored doing PWC. As i stated earlier Just PWC alone keep mine over 400 which is what you need for a reef tank

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 10:08 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58
My calcium stays at 420 with just PWC twice a week. I use oceanic salt. I`ve never tested it before it goes in but I will next time. If you have corals you will experience a depletion of calcium and trace elements. This can easily be restored doing PWC. As i stated earlier Just PWC alone keep mine over 400 which is what you need for a reef tank
That may be a solution a bit down the road--switching brands. When I mix Instant Ocean, I am getting a calcium level of 320 ppm (for the freshly mixed SW).
Old 04-03-2006, 03:27 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

IO has been known for a low Ca reading, Oceanic for a high Ca but low pH. Kent has been all over the place but my last two buckets were very low in Alk/pH and Kent found the same in the samples I sent them.
Have you checked your magnesium level yet.

You may need to supplement with something like Kent's superbuffer AND turbo-calc (calcium chloride) till you get a balanced/stable reading.

I have now switched to Tropic Marin which give me better readings on my new mix. I'm still supplementing with Turbo Ca for my corals.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 07:20 PM   #17
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

If you have a large coral population it will deplete your calcium. You may need calcium suuplement. I know before I got my RO/DI the guy I got my saltwater from added buffer to the water while mixing it. I have found oceanic to be meeting my needs though

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 10:15 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

If you may, I consider pwc an effective way of replacing trace elements in your tank. Some of those trace elements are available in fresh water itself and ofcourse your salt. Nitrates are dominantly affected by this pwc.

If you have calcium problems, instead of trying to calculate the chemical ions whatevers (which I highly respect of all of you, by the way, because I now have a clue at what buffers do ion-wise. Thanks! It makes more sense now) why not buy purple up or something and add those additives according to instructions until you get your desired calcium?

They're only about $14 a pop. Saves me a lot of stress trying to get to the bottom of calcium depletion or pwc calcium deficit. Just add more calcium.

Tags
calcium, ph down

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com