Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-08-2003, 04:45 PM   #11
BTA
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Steve, A question for you on the IO

What is wrong with those levels? If you supplement kalk to bring up the Ca from 350 to about 400 ppm, would that still be a problem with IO? Or do you think the Alk it too high and the addition of Ca might cause a precipitation?

BTW, I've read those articles but I just don't have a mind for chemistry!

Old 12-08-2003, 05:18 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

looks like you got this one under control Steve..

Old 12-08-2003, 10:53 PM   #13
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTA
What is wrong with those levels?
They're backwards

Quote:
If you supplement kalk to bring up the Ca from 350 to about 400 ppm, would that still be a problem with IO? Or do you think the Alk it too high and the addition of Ca might cause a precipitation?
I do not believe you should be buying a saltmix and then need to correct the chemistry. It should be properly balanced from the get go. To me, the product is faulty. Not to mention the time and test regents wasted correcting something that should be properly balanced when manufactured. If you do not mind correcting the issue yourself, that's fine. Personally, I do not have the patience. The only real time precip would be a problem is if the Ca was raised too quickly. As long as you do not dose large amounts, it will be fine although time consuming.

You will also need to bring the Ca higher than 400 ppm to get the alk back down to a balanced level against the Ca. More like 430-450 ppm Ca in the end.

Quote:
BTW, I've read those articles but I just don't have a mind for chemistry!
Which part needs more clarification?

Cheers
Steve
Old 12-09-2003, 10:07 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

"i was asked what of dosing am i using"

red sea calk. so far everything seems ok. though i am having trouble with the test kits involved.

Peppermint Shrimp:
Crush two tbs minced mint leaves (no stems) with the juice of two limes, two tbs of sugar and a shot of light rum. Marinade eight cleaned jumbo shrimp for two hours in fridge or overnight (overnight is best). Skewer and salt shrimp. Broil or grill over medium high heat until shrimp become opaque (apx. two and a half min per side). Serve with black beans cooked with garlic, green onions, bacon and topped with a slice of lime.
douggiestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 12:04 PM   #15
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by douggiestyle
red sea calk.
Kalkwasser is best used to maintain the levels, not raise them. If you need to adjust the chem, best use a buffer for alk and a CaCl product for calcium. It will be more effective and less problems getting to the right levels faster. Just be sure to read the instructions so you do not overdo the additions.

Quote:
so far everything seems ok. though i am having trouble with the test kits involved.
What kind of test kit?

Cheers
Steve
Old 12-09-2003, 04:59 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Kalkwasser is best used to maintain the levels, not raise them. If you need to adjust the chem, best use a buffer for alk and a CaCl product for calcium. It will be more effective and less problems getting to the right levels faster. Just be sure to read the instructions so you do not overdo the additions.
Im pretty sure that is what the red sea product is.
Quote:
What kind of test kit?
red sea calcium test and alkalinity pro.

do you think it is best to adjust the alk and cal in make up water prior to adding it to the tank after a water change?

Peppermint Shrimp:
Crush two tbs minced mint leaves (no stems) with the juice of two limes, two tbs of sugar and a shot of light rum. Marinade eight cleaned jumbo shrimp for two hours in fridge or overnight (overnight is best). Skewer and salt shrimp. Broil or grill over medium high heat until shrimp become opaque (apx. two and a half min per side). Serve with black beans cooked with garlic, green onions, bacon and topped with a slice of lime.
Old 12-09-2003, 05:10 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
m pretty sure that is what the red sea product is.
the product is "red sea reef success calk" you add it directly to tank water

Peppermint Shrimp:
Old 12-09-2003, 05:29 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
what is io

Peppermint Shrimp:
Old 12-09-2003, 09:24 PM   #19
BTA
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Douggie: IO = Instant Ocean salt

Quote:
I do not believe you should be buying a saltmix and then need to correct the chemistry.
Steveeeee:

Man, your answer is mind-boggling!!! You mean to say you've found a salt that is perfect??? (no need for kalk or buffer if you do regular water changes).

Wowsy....I gotta know which saltmix this is.

LOL about the chem. article...it's not any one point..I kinda understand it when I read it but pooof it's gone the next day! I guess I would have to read it every day if I wanted to remember it. Bright, ain't I?
Old 12-09-2003, 09:28 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Douggie: IO = Instant Ocean salt

doh
i would have never guessed

Peppermint Shrimp:

Tags
alkalinity, calcium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com