Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-10-2003, 11:00 AM   #31
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzybeas
Not to frustrate you but I found that when I was doing weekly water changes with IO I was unable to fix my CA levels. I tried dosing with everything on the market to raise my CA levels without success. When I changed salt to tropic marin I no longer had to correct my pH or my CA. I do need to dose a little to maintain both my ALK and CA but they are in balance, meaning the ratio between the two is more favorable. My tank is much easier to maintain since switching salts!!!!
If that kind of situation arises, you may also wish to check the <<magnesium levels>> in the tank as well as the saltmix. Again, many saltmixes fall short of proper levels of Mg and often require dosing in a system with many CaCO3 animals and tanks with plenty of LR with healthy coralline growth. I would actually suspect in the case of the Tropic Marine, is that it corrected the deficiencey and allowed the chem to come up. This is moreso true of low alk rather than Ca though.

Cheers
Steve
Old 12-10-2003, 01:42 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Freak

I actually did test the mag levels and they were okay. Also, I had no problem with the alk levels, hence my frustration!

"So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living and moving thing with which the water teems...And God saw that it was good" Gen1:21
bizzybeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 01:54 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Freak

red sea recomends to use trace elements when dosing to help eliminate such problems.

Peppermint Shrimp:
Crush two tbs minced mint leaves (no stems) with the juice of two limes, two tbs of sugar and a shot of light rum. Marinade eight cleaned jumbo shrimp for two hours in fridge or overnight (overnight is best). Skewer and salt shrimp. Broil or grill over medium high heat until shrimp become opaque (apx. two and a half min per side). Serve with black beans cooked with garlic, green onions, bacon and topped with a slice of lime.
douggiestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 05:47 PM   #34
BTA
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

How does Aquacraft compare to these salts? That's what I am using along with IO. I am rethinking the IO but I have 300 lbs of IO sitting around!
Old 12-11-2003, 01:18 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
DOH! I just bought a 200gallon bucket of IO, Steve-s, what salt mix do you recommend? I know certain salt mixes may be better depending on what's in the tank etc.. but an all around good mix if IO is not ideal.
Old 12-11-2003, 01:27 AM   #36
steve-s

I am not trying to scare everyone out of their prefered saltmix nor am I trying to purposely knock IO salts. All I am trying to do is point out these issues can cause problems with the chemistry and should be watched for. That said though, I have heard great things about Tropic Marine. Personally, I use Kent.

Cheers
Steve
Old 12-11-2003, 01:32 AM   #37
Aquarium Advice Freak

kent has a saltmix additive available to bring the chemistry up to par.

Peppermint Shrimp:
Crush two tbs minced mint leaves (no stems) with the juice of two limes, two tbs of sugar and a shot of light rum. Marinade eight cleaned jumbo shrimp for two hours in fridge or overnight (overnight is best). Skewer and salt shrimp. Broil or grill over medium high heat until shrimp become opaque (apx. two and a half min per side). Serve with black beans cooked with garlic, green onions, bacon and topped with a slice of lime.
Old 12-11-2003, 01:35 AM   #38
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by douggiestyle
kent has a saltmix additive available to bring the chemistry up to par.
Which is

Cheers
Steve
Old 12-11-2003, 01:49 AM   #39
Aquarium Advice Freak

jeez i dont know but will find out

Peppermint Shrimp:
Old 12-11-2003, 01:50 AM   #40
Aquarium Advice Freak

osmo-prep

Peppermint Shrimp:

Tags
alkalinity, calcium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com