Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-07-2003, 12:53 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

calcium vs alkalinity

im not sure what the difference between a alkalinity test and a calcium test is?

should i use one over another?

Peppermint Shrimp:
Crush two tbs minced mint leaves (no stems) with the juice of two limes, two tbs of sugar and a shot of light rum. Marinade eight cleaned jumbo shrimp for two hours in fridge or overnight (overnight is best). Skewer and salt shrimp. Broil or grill over medium high heat until shrimp become opaque (apx. two and a half min per side). Serve with black beans cooked with garlic, green onions, bacon and topped with a slice of lime.
douggiestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 01:17 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Electrobes
think this is right but alkalinity usually refers to pH. One of the hard thing about reefs or saltwater tanks is maintaining pH levels, and high alk is good from what I hear. Calcium tests.. dunno about this.. just know its good for living things in your tank.. algae, reef, marine plants... etc

Old 12-07-2003, 02:31 PM   #3
steve-s

What type of tank do you have and are you currently dosing anything?

In short, alkalinity is a measure of the total carbonates in the water and is an indication of the waters ability to resist changes in ph. It is not an actual measure of ph, they are two different things. If you are maintaining alk and/or Ca, both should be monitored to maintain a proper balance. When one is altered it affects the other.

I would suggest reading the following, they may help you clear things up...

Calcium and Alkalinity by Randy Holmes-Farley
Calcium

Cheers
Steve
Old 12-07-2003, 05:50 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

ive currently started dosing the tank to raise the calcium level which is low but my alkalinity level is high. this some what confuses me. i will read the article if i have a question i will stop back.

thanks steve

Peppermint Shrimp:
Crush two tbs minced mint leaves (no stems) with the juice of two limes, two tbs of sugar and a shot of light rum. Marinade eight cleaned jumbo shrimp for two hours in fridge or overnight (overnight is best). Skewer and salt shrimp. Broil or grill over medium high heat until shrimp become opaque (apx. two and a half min per side). Serve with black beans cooked with garlic, green onions, bacon and topped with a slice of lime.
Old 12-07-2003, 09:03 PM   #5
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by douggiestyle
this some what confuses me.
Test a freshly mixed batch of SW. That is most likely the cause. Adding calcium will fix the problem eventually. Just be sure not to increase the Ca to much per day and test prior to each addition.

Cheers
Steve
Old 12-07-2003, 09:05 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

well no wonder i was having trouble grasping exactly what it is i am trying to do. i definately need to read over this some more. thanks again steve (i think)

doug

Peppermint Shrimp:
Old 12-07-2003, 09:08 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Test a freshly mixed batch of SW. That is most likely the cause
does not compute... could you expand on this some more

Peppermint Shrimp:
Old 12-07-2003, 09:14 PM   #8
steve-s

Through my own observations I have noticed that certain saltmixes do not have a proper alk/Ca balance went freshly mixed. I recently decided to try IO salts which was a mistake. After testing the mix, I got a reading of 4.5+ mEq/l alk and a 350- ppm Ca. If doing regular water changes, this will affect your tank's chemistry in time...

Cheers
Steve
Old 12-07-2003, 11:31 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

OK gotcha now!!
thanks again

Peppermint Shrimp:
Old 12-08-2003, 01:29 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What are you dosing to raise the Calcium?

HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alkalinity, calcium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com