calerpa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scuba_steve

Aquarium Advice Addict
have read many diff issues using this algae (it going sexual unless light on 24/7 ect) !! and from what ive got out of it ya shouldnt use this type !! go more with sea grass types ?? anyone agree / disagreee like to hear peoples input on this and what they use instead ?!?!

from what ive read anytype ya dont want !! but i think the most use the leaf type

I believe that only the calcerous types go sexual. The leaf types are mostly kept in refugiums and harvested periodically for nutrient export.

There is no calcerous "caulerpa" to my knowledge, but the effects are probably similar. Several species of the green leafy types go sexual from C. prolifera to racemosa, etc., but it seems to vary from tank to tank no matter what "rules" such as "lighting 24/7" and whatnot.

I have read some reports that Caulerpa species can be quite aggressive chemically, and I have seen this towards other algaes but not so much corals. To do over, I will probably lean more towards sea grasses and Gracilaria sp. of macroalgae that supposedly do not have these tendencies with all the benefits.

HTH

Back
Top Bottom