Caleupra and cheato mix?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beachbumin

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a hob fug filled with razor, bubble and fern caleupra and am buying some cheato from the classified section of AA. Will I need to take out all the caleupra or can I mix the two in the fug without worrying about any ill effects?

The two should be ok together.
I have a hob fug filled with razor, bubble and fern caleupra
Are you keeping it pruned back sufficiently to prevent it from going sexual and disintigrating?
Cheato I beleive is NOT Halimeda which will require relatively high Ca levels to thrive.
quote "They need calcium ions and fairly high alkalinity to grow AND the nitrates and phosphates levels must be kept very low." from http://www.globaldialog.com/~jrice/algae_page/halimeda.htm
edited to remove any association between chaeto and halimeda. they are not the same. they should never be confused as being the same. they are different. :oops:

I would just mix it. Although I dont have any proof, I would think that each species would take out something a little different. The only thing you would have to watch out for is one choking the other out. I think that he was referring to "spagetti" when he said Cheato, although I could be wrong,
I think "spagetti" would be a much better choice than Halimeda.

Thanks guys! As far as prunning goes I have just let the caleupra go and clip it back when it gets to full. Is this all right or do I need to do something else?

Cheato I beleive is Halimeda which will require relatively high Ca levels to thrive
Chaeto and Halimeda are 2 different macros.. Chaet looks like spagetti noodles and Halimeda is said to look like Money coins.. Chaeto doesn't use up Calcium and Halimeda does.. Chaeto also doesnt root into the tank where as Halimeda does as well.. I have pictures of both if needed..

James

Back
Top Bottom