Calling Mantis Owners for First Set-up Suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SkinnyPete

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just got a new 20 gallon acrylic for a peacock mantis tank.

I've got the water and about 5-6 lbs of rock from my reef tank sump in there mixing around. Now, do I actually have to put this tank through a cycle? I'm assuming the rock rubble from my sump should be enough to handle the mantis, right?

Also, I made the mistake of just using fine sand for the substrate - now, after more research I found that peacocks prefer crushed coral or mixed grade sand. Any peacock owners out there have just sand bottoms?

Also - no need to cover the holes in the top of the tank? These guys do not try to escape, correct?

I'm itching to go out and grab a mantis - but, I want to do this right.

- Skins

I have started each and every nano with substrate from my 100 gallon and LR from it as well as 1/2 the water. No problems, ever with this method. If you only use the LR and water, it may take a bit of time, but not very long. Mantis are tough animals. I would not worry too much about it in your case.

I dont think they are jumpers, but I could be wrong. Best to ask someone who has one. I would make sure that it could not climb up the LR and get into trouble that way, pump intake, climb out of tank, etc., because they will climb all over the rock in search of food.

David

Back
Top Bottom