Came home skimmer DOA?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have the Tunze 9002 on my BC29. It's been working great up until now. I came home and it's dead. It has power and the motor is hot. I'm gonna break it all down now. It's been running since October.

Ok took it all apart.cleaned the propeller and motor, cleaned out the housing and tubing. Now it works better then ever!!

It had a lot of built up gunk. Better then when I first got it!

:)

Flreefer said:
Glad to here you solved the problem, Dino!

Thanks buddy. Just wish I knew why it works sooo much better now then when I first got it lol. Not that I'm complaining. I think I may have botched the air hose mod and when I cleaned everything out I may have seated the motor better cause it's purring like a 67 chevelle.

:)

If I had a nickle for everytime I had a pump running like crap and fiddled with it til it worked better lol. Glad to hear all is well...now I want to take apart my skimmer's pump. That seaclone is just a piece of garbage.

Sniperhank said:
If I had a nickle for everytime I had a pump running like crap and fiddled with it til it worked better lol. Glad to hear all is well...now I want to take apart my skimmer's pump. That seaclone is just a piece of garbage.

I hear ya. I'm kinda glad this happened because I don't know what happened or what I missed the first time but this isn't the same skimmer lol. It's on fire!! :)

It's the little things that make me happy.

Just wish I knew why it works sooo much better now then when I first got it
it's because you cleaned out all the gunk slowing down propeller
that would be my guess
I got snails logged up in mine and cant get them at

Convict2161 said:
I hear ya. I'm kinda glad this happened because I don't know what happened or what I missed the first time but this isn't the same skimmer lol. It's on fire!! :)

It's the little things that make me happy.

DINO what do you mean its working better? Couldn't it just be that it hasn't been on so its collecting more stuff.

54seaweed said:
that would be my guess

Huh

Andrew McFadden said:
DINO what do you mean its working better? Couldn't it just be that it hasn't been on so its collecting more stuff.

Huh

I'm thinking maybe when I did the airline mod maybe I didn't seat the motor back in the housing correctly. Because when I broke it down and gave it a good cleaning. I made sure the motor was seated and I heard a "click" and now this thing has some you know what...

It's a lot better then before. I'm gonna say when I took it apart for the mod I didn't put it back the right way.

Convict2161 said:
I'm thinking maybe when I did the airline mod maybe I didn't seat the motor back in the housing correctly. Because when I broke it down and gave it a good cleaning. I made sure the motor was seated and I heard a "click" and now this thing has some you know what...

It's a lot better then before. I'm gonna say when I took it apart for the mod I didn't put it back the right way.

I have broke some propellers that way :( glad it didn't happen to you

54seaweed said:
that would be my guess
I got snails logged up in mine and cant get them at

I'd agree BUT I said its working better then when I got it. I'm sure there wasn't any gunk or anything on any part of the skimmer it was new outta the box. I did the airline mod and like I've said I think I didn't seat the motor correctly when I put it back together. And when taking it apart today and cleaning it I seated it the right way. It made a click when I pushed the motor into the housing. And now it's working like a charm.

Like I said better then when I first got it. So I must have done something wrong.

Personally, my 9002 needs to be cleaned every 2 months. I also added an air pump to mine. Super charging it. It blows like a volcano. I'm going to get a bigger air pump and put some soda lime in a small bottle to create a co2 scrubber.

Bige said:
Personally, my 9002 needs to be cleaned every 2 months. I also added an air pump to mine. Super charging it. It blows like a volcano. I'm going to get a bigger air pump and put some soda lime in a small bottle to create a co2 scrubber.

That's a great idea!! I'm going to try to do that to my skimmer, worth a try! :)

Well, tried the air injection thing with a Rena 300 and a 400 I had laying around. The 300 didn't seem to make anything different except making the water level higher, and the 400 pushed too much air ( using both ports ), making the whole thing seize up ( no bubbles ).
Ohh well, still looking for a better skimmer. Worth a try though! :)

Back
Top Bottom