Camel shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lando

Aquarium Advice Addict
Does anyone have any experience with camel shrimp? I am considering getting one because they are unusual looking and are great scavenges. I have heard conflicting reports on how safe they are for reef tanks. Arethey reef safe or not? Thanks! Lando

I think they are a lot like peppermints (Lysmata wurdemanni) in looks but the peppermints are "better" becasue they are a little more reef safe and actually eat aiptasia, in fact sometimes people buy the camel shrimp because they look like peppermints and they think they are getting peppermints.

If you get 2 peppermints they can release eggs which help feed the tank. I have 5 peppermints and they do not bother my corals to my knowledge. They do release little egg things though and pick little scraps of things up to eat.

Thanks snapcrackler. I noticed you are from Iowa, what part? I grew up in Sheldon (Northwest Iowa), went to Iowa State (go Cyclones!), and lived in Des Moines for a time. Anyone else on the camel shrimp?

LOL :D

The hump on their back probably fills up with coral so they can go long periods between eating your reef.. :mrgreen:

reefrunner69 said:
Camel shrimp are coral munchers.

EXACTLY ! were killing my nice coral...
SO....
One day, 1 of em was dead...
then 2 days later the second died...
DAM Mantis shrimp !

Yeah, or let a flame hawk loose in there to get those camels if ya don't have a mantis handy! 8O

hee hee

Back
Top Bottom