Can a coral have to much current?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reefman97

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently bought this bird nest sps coral. I was told it needed lots if lighting and current. So I put it at the top of my live rock to get the best lighting I could give it (42" Cree 3 watt). And I took one of my power heads and aimed it directly at it. I say it's about 7-8 inches between the sps and the power head. But ever since I did that its starting to turn white. It's like the current is too strong and stripping the nice light brown it had. It's still has it's brown on it but most is white. I'm new to this coral thing so maybe he's upset with something else. Please help!

Following. I have an acro doing the same thing on the tips. I'm not sure if it is new growth or bleaching.

image-1443365249.jpg

Never point a power head directly at a coral as it will kill it. For my birds nest, I have my power heads pointing above it or off a wall. Also, was it acclimated to the new light? If it was under weaker or even stronger lights you can stress them out as well this is especially so if it was shipped to you and went from darkness over night to sting LEDs. I've killed coral by accident that way.

Never point a power head directly at a coral as it will kill it. For my birds nest, I have my power heads pointing above it or off a wall. Also, was it acclimated to the new light? If it was under weaker or even stronger lights you can stress them out as well this is especially so if it was shipped to you and went from darkness over night to sting LEDs. I've killed coral by accident that way.

Well by the sounds of what your saying I might've unfortunately killed my coral than. I believe I killed it by too much current. The lights were ok cause after a day he was nice brown and those little green flower looking things all over it. But then after reading it said it needs lots of current so I took the power head and put it directly at it. Bad idea I guess. Well it's basically all white now except the tips. Is it possible I can still move the power head above it and still come back to life? Thanks for the info by the way! :)

Keep the frag in the tank. With proper conditions he will grow again.

It probably isn't so much the flow. It's probably bleaching because too much light. You should start corals on or near the sand bed then slowly move them up over a couple of days/weeks. You need to watch them and evaluate if they look healthy(not bleaching) as you move them.

Edit: I'd move the coral to the bottom for a while till it regains some color.

Back
Top Bottom