Can a inoperable protein skimmer cause high nitrates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jimmye4fish

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just got my API test kit in and everything looks fine except the nitrates were at 40ppm. When I went to add RO to the sump I noticed one of my little girls must have been messing with it and the skimmer was pulled out of the sump. I put it back how it's supposed to go 2 days ago and there is no buildup inside the cup like usual. It has tons of bubbles but it doesn't seem to be producing like usual. I need to get the nitrates down. I just did a PWC on Sunday (2days ago). Any thoughts?

That fast two days is say no , if it was a week or two yea because the skimmer would not be pulling waste and instead breaking down in yur tank causes nitrates....how my h do u feed and how often

I've got 2 small clowns, small tang and an engineer goby. I feed every night. Ive been feeding one frozen brine cube (small cubes that push out of the foil packet) every night. Is that too much, it's a 75 gallon tank if you needed to know the size.

Do u rinse the cubes off befor you feed if not do you notice the cloud the cube causes during feeding ...that's a lot of stuff u don't realy want in yur tank rinse thefood and feed every other day imo that's were yur nitrates are conning from

I just thaw it out then feed it with a spoon. The majority of the liquid stays in the bowl and doesn't go in the take. I will be doing. PWC tonight.

Back
Top Bottom