Can a Midas blenny kill hermit crabs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Purevil21

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have seen him slap them with his tail, but yesterday I found a dead one out of its shell in front of his cave. Second time in two weeks.

Mine won't bother anything it is just a little beggar. Is it a possible molt and it the crab moved to another shell? I know someone was mourning their hallowen hermit crab that was 5 years old being killed and 2 weeks later it showed back up it had molted and left the shell. After that he put more shells in and the hermit found a new shell.

No, it was the whole crab sans shell, I watches two other hermits go clean him up. Plus what would be the odds of the crabs molting in the same spot in 2 weeks.

I know things like iodine can effect molts of saltwater critters. It is possible but I am thinking you have something else going on. If the blenny had killed it chances are it would have eaten it.

I think the chances of a midas blenny killing a hermit are slim to none. Could be iodine, we used to use tap water for our first tank and it was low in iodine so we had to add it for the hermits to be able to shed their skin, took us awhile tor realize that that was why they kept dying. Are yours shedding? Do you have extra bigger shells for them to move into?

I have about 25 hermits, and I have an array of shell sizes that are vacant for use. Probably 40 loose shells around the tank, but these are the first two I have found dead, I know my midas is extremely protective of his cave, and that is where I found them both dead. That was why I was questions, I have seen him smack them around before when they come to close. So you believe there may not be enough iodine?

What size is your tank? It is possible but remember that adding too much iodine is also not a good thing. I can't remember if there is iodine testing kits so maybe you should look into that. Have you found any molts from your hermits??

65 gallon, its been a few days and I am not noticing anything a miss. Hopefully it was just the blenny protecting his cave and the other crabs took heed. Lol

Back
Top Bottom