Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-03-2014, 01:27 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Can a skimmer be too small?

I currently have a 29gal tank and purchased a skimmer that's good up to 65gal. I wanted to upgrade in size to either a 55 or 75 and go partial reef. I've been holding back from the 75 because of the size of the skimmer.

Here's the question. If I basically have the bioload from fish and a few corals for a 55gal but in a 75 gallon tank, will it be safe to keep the same skimmer?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 07-03-2014, 01:32 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

What is the skimmer?

Old 07-03-2014, 01:35 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Coralife super skimmer 65. I understand it's not even close to the best thing out there, but it's all I have for the now.

Old 07-03-2014, 01:50 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

IMHO you want a skimmer that's going to be rated for 1.5-2x the tanks volume
Old 07-03-2014, 02:08 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedsReefs10 View Post
IMHO you want a skimmer that's going to be rated for 1.5-2x the tanks volume

Would it be ok if I kept the 75 as a FOWLR tank for now and maybe 1 anemone, a torch coral and a couple small softies like 6 months later? Or would I still need an upgraded skimmer

Old 07-03-2014, 02:53 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

IMO, the number and type of fish are going to dictate what skimmer will work. FOWLR does not need water as clean as reef, but you are adding some corals, so you are going to need fairly clean water. Remember that water changes can help keep parameters in check too.

Old 07-05-2014, 02:03 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijoe1221 View Post
I currently have a 29gal tank and purchased a skimmer that's good up to 65gal. I wanted to upgrade in size to either a 55 or 75 and go partial reef. I've been holding back from the 75 because of the size of the skimmer.

Here's the question. If I basically have the bioload from fish and a few corals for a 55gal but in a 75 gallon tank, will it be safe to keep the same skimmer?

I moved all my stuff from 60 gal to 150 gal and I never had a problem. I did not add any additional LR but I used new sand for my substrate. Your skimmer may be too small if your bioload is at max. I have to turn off my skimmer for several days to maintain my nutrients needed by corals. Based on my parameter, I now have to do pwc once every 3 weeks. One thing to consider for LR effective filtration is placed them in such a way that they are separated by water that is free to circulate so it can feed beneficial bacteria and remove extra nutrients. Those spaces between LR also serve as caves for fish to hide or maneuver from aggressive ones. You can add more LR later or upgrade skimmer when you decide to add more fish or corals in the future.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 02:15 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffaquarius View Post
I moved all my stuff from 60 gal to 150 gal and I never had a problem. I did not add any additional LR but I used new sand for my substrate. Your skimmer may be too small if your bioload is at max. I have to turn off my skimmer for several days to maintain my nutrients needed by corals. Based on my parameter, I now have to do pwc once every 3 weeks. One thing to consider for LR effective filtration is placed them in such a way that they are separated by water that is free to circulate so it can feed beneficial bacteria and remove extra nutrients. Those spaces between LR also serve as caves for fish to hide or maneuver from aggressive ones. You can add more LR later or upgrade skimmer when you decide to add more fish or corals in the future.

Thank you! I have another questions by you saying I "can add more LR later". Does that mean i should wait or is it a good idea to do it now. LR can reduce my bioload correct?

Old 07-05-2014, 02:28 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijoe1221 View Post
Thank you! I have another questions by you saying I "can add more LR later". Does that mean i should wait or is it a good idea to do it now. LR can reduce my bioload correct?

I would get all the rock in before you start stocking. Adding rock/changing the scape with fish in can stress them out badly. LR won't reduce your bio load but it will increase your bb population making your system more stable.
Old 07-05-2014, 02:32 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedsReefs10 View Post
I would get all the rock in before you start stocking. Adding rock/changing the scape with fish in can stress them out badly. LR won't reduce your bio load but it will increase your bb population making your system more stable.

Ok that makes sense. Now how soon should I wait before adding the fish? Is there going to be a whole new cycle since it's a new tank but most of the same equipment and rock? Or will it be safe to add the same day?

Tags
skimmer, small

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com