Can a Skunk cleaner...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blazeyreef

Aquarium Advice Addict
Can a skunk cleaner shrimp bring a parasite or sickness into my aquarium? I have gone to a Petco about 2 hrs away and they have skunk cleaners for $13.99 8O verses the $29.99 at the LFS's and I have ALWAYS wanted one (I plan on 4 in the 75...) but I was wondering that, if they "look" healthy would they be OK to add to the tank? I dont have my QT set up because of cramped space in the apt. so thats not an option...and thats why I am asking if its ok to get athe skunk at petco... or would it just be better to get one from the LFS?
Thanks in advance :)

Most of the time if the fish comes from an invert only system it shouldn't bring a parasite into your aquarium. The problem is that many LFS's run a central system so water passes from tank to tank. Parasites like ich can encrust on the carapace of shrimp and other inverts and then infect fish tank mates. I have never qt'd any of my inverts and never noticed a parasite problem after adding them.

That said I would make sure there aren't any noticeable parasite problems on the fish elsewhere in the system. If the fish look ok and the shrimp seem healthy I think you would be alright.

Back
Top Bottom