Can an Anemone hurt Corals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vmalpi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, i'm new to salt water tanks and have a 36gal reef. Have one anemone and i'm running out of space to place new coral because i'm afraid of putting then near it. Can an anemone hurt a coral? if yes, is it all the corals or just some?

Attachments

• smaller_dsc0167_170.jpg
    smaller_dsc0167_170.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 104
Yes. An anenome can always be a risk although they are great animals if dealt with properly.

Is it an LTA?

They can hurt many corals but some corals will be unaffected. I have a bta clone that rubs on a pink palythoa all day with no harm. This is always a risk but many times the anemone will NOT go on a mission to damage your corals. Good luck!

You have a Powder Blue tang, a hippo, and an anthias in a 36 gallon tank?

This is very bad!

Eventually both tangs will outgrow your 36g, as Mike stated. The lone anthias should be fine.

They really should not even be in a tank of that size now.

Also: MOST Anthias that resemble that coloration get far to big as well.

vmalpi said:
sorry, LTA?
Long Tentacle Anemone

It looks like you have a tan LTA near the front of your tank.
LTAs have a sting that can kill some corals.
My LTA got wanderlust and went on a long walkabout and when I came home he had accidentally stung almost every coral in the tank and a featherduster.

The smooth skinned mushrooms didn't seem bothered by the sting.
The candycane turned white and lost some flesh in small spots where it was stung.
The red rhodactus mushrooms shriveled up and expelled all their intestines like a birdsnest of white thread.
Same for a brown fuzzy mushroom.
A bunch of zoas and button polyps stayed closed for days afterwards.
The featherduster's gills all shriveled into little curls before he "popped his crown".

I moved all of the corals into a different tank and they all recovered fully.
The featherduster has been in there a long time and is attached to several large pieces of LR so I don't know if I can move him or the rocks without killing him.
So far he's been recovering also and his crown is about halfway grown back.
Hopefully I'll figure out a way to safely move him too before my LTA decides it's time for a new "view".

That's just my experience, and I really don't know squat, so take it for what it's worth...

It is always a bad idea to have any coral or anemone touching another. They are doing damage, even if it is not readily apparent at first.

Some anemones dont' have a powerful enough sting to cause too much harm, but it never hurts to take precautions.

While the ones at my house don't seem to bother soft corals, i've personally seen other species like tube anemones take out anything from a simple soft coral to a hard stony coral in an lfs.

Back
Top Bottom