Can anemone sting Linckia?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mac11

Aquarium Advice Activist
I got a purple tip anemone last week (Condy) and this morning it had gotten into the powerhead (killed obviously). little bits of its tentacles had been sent throughtout the tank. My orange linckia that Ive had for 3 months looks like he has a little white spot on him and his orange skin is peeling.

My Theory: My linckia went over one of the tentacle particles and it stuck to him stinging one of his arms. IS this possible??

Extra note: Does that anemone getting chopped up in my tank present and other problems i should be aware of? His orange bubble bottom did NOT get cut or burst.

Thanks for the help!

Your tank is basically polluted with the pieces of anemone, so that'll raise your parameters and cause issues. I'd do a large water change.
In terms of the loose tentacle stinging, it is possible, but I'd be more worried about the polluted water stressing out your linckia than the sting...

I guess I should also add the difficulty of caring for such a starfish. They usually need a big tank to be successful...though not always...because there is one thing we aren't 100% sure about, what they eat. These guys are beautiful starfish, why they are so popular. But without knowing what they eat they have a high mortality rate in the home aquarium.

yes they (linckia) are quite difficult to keep. Hes looked very healthy and been very active since Ive had him but I understand they have a high mortality rate.
Ugh that anemone was nothing but trouble since the start. But now Il just have to keep checking my parameters often. what a bummer!

I'd be more inclined to think your lighting was to blame. These guys need intense lighting and if it was crawling around and went up the side of the tank, it most likely wanted more light so it could survive and thrive.

if I am correct your tank is only 4-5 months old, way to new for the nem and the Linckia, the white spots are more likely the beginning of the end for it. They have less then a 10% survival rate in large established tanks.

Ive had the linckia in there from the get go and had zero problems. Just have to see how it plays out.

Back
Top Bottom