Can anyone ID these LR growths????*pic*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

illuminum

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have no idea what they are. Are they good or bad? Can I get rid of them if I wanted? They all developed after the LR was put in the tank. I have a feeling the brownish seaweed-life stuff could overtake the tank real quick.

Live%20Rock.jpg

Well, the plant looks like some type of Caulerpa. Mixed reviews on if it is good in your main. Is good for removing nutrients and keeping good water quality. Yes it can overun a tank, may want to keep it trimed. Many folks keep it in a refugium, some in their main, Do you have a tang? They are known to eat this stuff.
I wouldn't worry about the worm too much, most do more good than bad.
Not sure about the bubble stuff.

OK, thanks on the sppedy reply on the calupra. How could I effectivelt remove this stuff from the main tank? Can I just pull them off or would they just grow back?

Looks like bubble algea to me you should carefully remove it without popping it. i have heard that if it breaks open that it will spread!

yes this is a common algae called bubble algae or "sailors eyes" found in reef tanks that grows on live rock. it is not harmful to the tank but can spread very fast if the right nutrients are in the tank. the best way to reduce this algae is by introducing one or two emerald crabs to your tank. emerald crabs are reef safe and will not damage or feed on your corals.

hope this helps :D

The worm thing looks like catapiller weed. Another type of algae. The way I understand, it comes and goes and isn't anything to worry about.

IMO forget the crabs (unless you want them)and pull it off by hand. I had 3 emeralds and they never touched my bubble algae, I pulled them off. Crabs are a 50/50 thing pulling off is 100%

seaham358 said:
IMO forget the crabs (unless you want them)and pull it off by hand. I had 3 emeralds and they never touched my bubble algae, I pulled them off. Crabs are a 50/50 thing pulling off is 100%

I'm moving the tank, so would it be wise to remove the algae from the rock while it's outside of the tank so I don't accidentally pop them and release spores all into my tank?

Ya, if you can take the rock out that would be fine. They are pretty tuff so I don't think that you will pop a small one like that.

Here's what I do with the bubble algae removal. On my water change days I use a 1/2" piece of flexible tubing and a bucket. I start a siphon and drain the water into the bucket. I use a dental pick to get underneath the bubble and release it and it gets sucked up the tube and into the bucket and if I happen to pop the bubble most of the spores are sucked out anyway. This method has greatly reduced the recurrance of the bubble algae....for me anyways.

Fireman

Back
Top Bottom