Can anyone identify these?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tmyboy

Aquarium Advice Freak
These have been slowly popping up on my live rock....they retract if touched altho it doesn't seem like they sting. Any ideas? Bad or good?
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398219269.934857.jpg

I think those are pest Anenome! If so they will have to go!

I am sure someone else will chime in , but I believe it is aptisma and there are several ways to kill them off!

Can you get a close up picture of a smaller area on them?

Sent from my Z750C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

And are they on all your rock, or just those pieces. Are the rocks new by chance?

Not all the rock work but maybe 3 or 4 pcs. I'm trying to get a closer pic but I tried to hit em with aptaisia X and they all pulled back. it doesn't look like it did anything bc They retract in a tube like thing.

By chance, with the lights out, will they retract if you suddenly hit them with I bright light?

It could be aiptasia, but I had a few rocks that had colonies of little tube worms in them that looked a lot like that.

Don't know bout the light thing altho I will test that tonight when my lights go off at 11pm. Seems like i can touch one if them and most the entire section of the colony retracts. Like they're all connected.

So if they are tube worms....would they retract quickly with bright light?

Last edited by a moderator:
I can only speak to the ones I've had, but yes, for whatever reason, they retracted in a blink when I did that

I've had aiptasia also, and pretty bad, but never that many that close. Mine would only retract when I touched them, the rest ignored my touching the others

If it is aipistasia you could try a peppermint shrimp. I had 2 instances of the stuff hitchhiking on new corals and both times a pep cleared it up.

I've got 2 of those and that's why I'm starting to think these guys aren't aptaisia. That and the fact that aptaisia x had no effect on them what so ever. Lastly....the tube like structure is not something I've ever seen with aptaisia either. I just don't want them to get out of control. Wud I remove them with a razor blade? The tube is kinda tough. Feels like plastic actually. Lol.

I don't think you have aiptasia, I think it may be colonies of little tube worms. I left mine, I had a few critters they were food for, their numbers decreased, then seemed to plateau. I think they grew back at about an equal rate to them being eaten. You could get some new pieces and replace those very covered rocks also

Thanks redwolf.

I think your right. Ill leave em.

I have an issue with killing things in the tank that don't need to be killed. (Like pests and what not)

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Tom.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm the same way, I'll let something eat them, but won't kill anything unless I have no choice. I think the Arrow crab I had loved those little things for what it is worth. Good luck, keep me posted on them.

They are colonial hydroids. Some people swear they will take over, and I can say I currently have a boatload in my tank and wish I'd have known what they were and worked on them early on. They don't seem to hurt anything that I've observed, but they are an eyesore.

Kalkwasser paste helps to control them, but you'll likely need multiple applications.

Back
Top Bottom