Can cleaner shrimps asexually reproduce?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishFrik

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Yes my question sounds very dumb... i know... even sounds dumb to me but i've got to ask.

My skunk cleaner shrimp molted yesterday. Today, at feeding time it came out, which is odd cuz it never comes out 1 day after molting. I saw lots of tiny "eggs" in the shrimp's stomach when it swam up vertically to get the pellets. Now, the thing is i don't have any other shrimp in my tank 0.o

Any thought?

My pep shrimp always was full with eggs.

But your shrimps can't "asexually" reproduce like mine! :p hehe My shrimp is the coolest guy/gal. lol

I've heard shrimp babies are hard to raise so i guess my fish will just take care of them XD

If the eggs are fertile, which odds are they are not, but if they are, you can attempt to raise the young by setting up a 10 gallon with an airstone driven corner filter. The fry are VERY fragile, and contact with the glass can kill them. They will be planktonic for at least a week and a half and very hard to feed - they are the size of a pin head. In a couple of weeks, after several molts, if you have any survivors, they will look like little tiny shrimp on the bottom of the tank, and will be able to eat cyclops-ez (red powder stuff) types of food. I tried 3 times with my mated pair of skunks and went from 1000 or so fry the first day down to maybe a dozen in a weeks time. I put live sand and some small live rock in my tank thinking the fry could eat the stuff on the live rock, but I observed large pods eating the shrimp fry instead. The adult shrimp will eat the fry as well. I always noticed that the fertile eggs were kind of green when about to pop.

Well worth it to try and raise the fry if you can, as the skunks retail for $20-30 each. I have had no luck so far, but as soon as my blood shrimps show some eggs I am going to try again, as these guys are worth even more $$$.

Back
Top Bottom