can coralline get out of hand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sean57

Aquarium Advice Regular
I bought some live rock that had coralline on it . I have seen some tanks covered in it in places and thought it looked cool so I bought som purple up coralline enhancer. Now it's everywhere! Starting to grow on the glass and sand. Can this get out of hand?

yes mine grows all over the glass in my hex and i find the glass cleaners with the flat metal edge work best to get it off...I've never seen it growing on the sand though, are you sure its not the red cyanobacteria?

To put it very simple.
Coraline is hard, cyanobacteria is slimy.

Sort of. It's purple coraline that has bleached or died off. In time, it'll regain it's color.

Regarding the use of "Purple Up"... stop. Your tank doesn't need it. Normal water changes with any half decent salt mix will give the tank everything it needs for the stuff to grow.

Ok some of it is hard some can be wiped of glass ect and is on sand with tiny nitrgen bubbles I think holdind on

The one you just mentioned in your last post sounds like cyanobacteria. And the bubbles you see dangling off of it, is not nitrogen bubbles.

Regular air bubbles getting trapped underneath the cyano. Trust me, it's not nitrogen bubbles.

Well stired it all up and hooked my magnum 350 filter up running carbon, did a 20% water change algea better today.

Back
Top Bottom