Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-18-2005, 07:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Can corals survive out of water?

For more than 10minutes or so? I want to get some but i dont want to carry a big bucket of water in the cars so if i just had it out of water for 10 minutes or so would it die? How about if i used a spray bottle and kept spraying it?

Old 05-18-2005, 07:09 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

They will bag them at the store and put them in a box for you. If not you could put them in a tupperware container with a lid. I definitely would not recommend keeping them out of water and spraying would be just as messy as a bucket would be.

http://www.aquarank.com/in.php?id=fishfree
electrikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 10:48 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Many corals will do fine out of the water for short periods of time. Most will simply close up to retain mosture. Although most stores as mentiopned will bag them for you. If your trading corals with fellow hobbists you can either being yoru own ziploc style bags or as mentioned above also some small contaners with lids.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 05:29 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Sorry for the length of wait but im going to get my own coral from the ocean, or is that a bad idea?
Old 05-28-2005, 08:22 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
midol, this is just my personal opinion but yes taking wild corals from the ocean is a bad idea. FIrst off your local laws my prohibit this as many coral reefs are protected from collection except in a controlled and managed way. Now you might think to yourself that its just one or two corals and im only one person doing it but that kind of thinking can lead to total disaster of a reef if hundreds of thousands of people thought this way. Our coral reefs need to be conserved and us hobbists are ones whom have alternate methods of getting corals and we should use those methods if at all possible.

Some of these alternate methods include purchasing coral frags from fellow hobbists. Purchasing corals that have been aquacultured or those that have been rased on 'frag farms' where the parent coral is several generations out of the wild reef.

Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
Old 05-28-2005, 11:08 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

That sounds really cool. But I have a funny feeling that you could get into a lot of trouble for it in your area. I think you need a permit to collect on the GB Reef. Could cost you $10000.00 and a trip to the pokie. Most expensive corals ever.
9 Watt UV Ster.
100lbs. Live Rock (Fiji,Tonga Br)
125lbs. Aragonite Base
Maculosus Angel~Yellow Tang~Flame Hawk~Canary Blenny~Pajama Cardinal~Bl Yel Tl Damsel~Brittle Star

10 Gallon Sea Clear Acrylic est. 7-05
Whisper HOB w/carbon+ 1 rio 400 PH
65 watt 12K PC
DSB + 6lbs. Fiji LR/2lbs. Base R
5 Bl Leg Hermits/ 5 Astrea Snails
1 Serpeant Star/ 1 Whte Burr Star
Leather Coral
Orange+Green Zoos
Growth of Halimeda
SALTYDAWGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 11:58 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Nar, i would get em from a non-protected place, old woman island just off from maroochydore. Apparantly there is coral there and we are allowed to collect it since it is the type that grows fast or something.

Also, is liverock just dead coral?
Old 05-28-2005, 12:28 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Live rock is basicly coral skeliton thats been layed down over the years as the corals grow. I would not call id dead coral since only stoney corals (aka reef builders) are ones that contribute to producting live rock.

Old 05-29-2005, 08:47 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to SeriousDude5
What type of coral are you planning on snagging from the ocean?
Old 05-30-2005, 01:57 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Something with color...

I dont really know, all the stuff around here is suppose to be easy to keep so i figured i'd just grab some stick it in and see what happens.

Tags
coral, corals

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com