Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-28-2006, 03:14 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Can Crushed Coral cause high nitrates?

I am new to this hobby. I have a 46 gallon bow front tank with 65 lbs of LR, 20 lbs of LS and 40 lbs of Crushed Coral. The Petco lady suggested that I use crushed coral. I have a HOB Bio Wheel filter. The AquaC Remora Protein Skimmer is on order. Hopefully, it will be delivered by the end of the week.

Fish:

3 pajama cardinals
1 damsel
1 half-black angel

My tank has been up and running for about 8 weeks now. My ph is 8.2, ammonia is 0, nitrites are 0 but my nitrates are 40 ppm. I have been doing a lot PWC's trying to lower the nitrates down from 80 ppm.

I’m hearing that crushed coral could be the source of my high nitrate problem. Is that possible? Should I try to remove the crushed coral and add more sand? Can that be done without making my water cloudy?

Old 02-28-2006, 03:38 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

this is most likely your problem i got the same advice for cleaning it and boy will you be suprised how muck crap the is hiding in that crushed coral

Old 02-28-2006, 06:28 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Crush coral can definitely be a source of NO3. Best thing is probably to try and remove a little of the CC at a time over several weeks until it is gone and then slowly add sand back in the tank in several phases. Slowing removing the CC will keep from removing a large % of your bio filtration at once and adding the sand in 2-3 phases will insure proper seeding. Bio wheels are "known" to also be NO3 producers.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:06 PM   #4

Thanks for the responses. I plan on removing the bio wheel filter as soon as I get my protein skimmer setup. Hopefully, that will help lower my NO3.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:33 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Another thing to consider is what kind of water you are using. Many city water supplies come chock full not only of chlorine, but nitrates as well. If you are putting in tap water, you may not be removing as much nitrate as you could be with water changes.

Using RO/DI water will help you out a lot if you are not already using it.

Paul

46 Gallon (Saltwater): 60 pounds Lalo Live Rock, 60 pounds aragonite sand, 1 Coral Beauty Angelfish, 1 Peppermint Shrimp, 1 Mushroom Coral, 1 Emerald Crab, various snails and hermit crabs.

10 Gallon (Saltwater quarantine):
pkremer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 10:46 PM   #6

Re: Can Crushed Coral cause high nitrates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mharrison86
I am new to this hobby. I have a 46 gallon bow front tank with 65 lbs of LR, 20 lbs of LS and 40 lbs of Crushed Coral. The Petco lady suggested that I use crushed coral. I have a HOB Bio Wheel filter. The AquaC Remora Protein Skimmer is on order. Hopefully, it will be delivered by the end of the week.

Fish:

3 pajama cardinals
1 damsel
1 half-black angel

My tank has been up and running for about 8 weeks now. My ph is 8.2, ammonia is 0, nitrites are 0 but my nitrates are 40 ppm. I have been doing a lot PWC's trying to lower the nitrates down from 80 ppm.

I’m hearing that crushed coral could be the source of my high nitrate problem. Is that possible? Should I try to remove the crushed coral and add more sand? Can that be done without making my water cloudy?
Were you vaccuming your tank bottom at all?
Old 03-04-2006, 09:49 PM   #7
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I can tell you from experience that CC will cause high nitrates. That`s why I went to live sand when I got my new tank.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coral, crushed, crushed coral, high nitrate, high nitrates, nitrates

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com