Can dry rock become live?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BLUElobster99

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Some say yes others say know. I'd like to know everyone's opinion. Also, does the filtration capacity of live rock improve over time in an established tank? I know that there is always substantial die of off organisms and bb after the rock is mined, shipped to the lfs or online retailer, and then possibly shipped again to your door. Do these organisms and bb ever grow back?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Rock being 'live' reflects the beneficial bacteria base that you build up when you cycle. So yes, it does become live.
When it comes to the rock from the ocean, the stuff that was living on it sometimes does come back out. It just takes a long time at times. I've seen stuff emerge from rock I've had in my tank a year after setting everything up. It is pretty crazy in all honesty.

First question is yes, sterile rock can become live just thru natural processes. The process can be accelerated by using established rock as a "seed rock." Or you can add selective bacteria in a bottle to seed the rock. Some like to start with sterile and seed it with bacteria that is known beneficial rather than take the hodgepodge of bacteria a wild live rock can have. But it's also sometimes fun to see what a wild rock has hiding in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

First question is yes, sterile rock can become live just thru natural processes. The process can be accelerated by using established rock as a "seed rock." Or you can add selective bacteria in a bottle to seed the rock. Some like to start with sterile and seed it with bacteria that is known beneficial rather than take the hodgepodge of bacteria a wild live rock can have. But it's also sometimes fun to see what a wild rock has hiding in it.

It's all fun and games until aiptasia pops up everywhere :whistle::whistle:

That's right. It's why I culture my own rocks now. That's a statement you can only make in the aquarium trade that won't get giggles.

Back
Top Bottom