Can equipment make fish go crazy? (seriously)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lasek2k1

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ever since I added my skimmer to the left side of my tank, the fish avoid it somewhat because I guess they are afraid of the pump. My tank is a 15 gallon so the pump (CSS65) is somewhat large in comparison to a 15 gallon. Also my PH was on the left side until today.

Basically before moving some equipment, my O. clowns somewhat claimed thier territory close to the right side of the tank. Understanding that clowns are somewhat territorial, whenever my chromis would swim too close to the clowns' space the clowns would chase them out far enough and then go back home. Seconds later the the chromis would come back and the clowns would chase them out. Its wierd because the chromis would swin through the tunnels and swim around and whatnot but the clowns won't care. My clowns just snap at the chromis whenever they felt like it. For some reason the chromis would NEVER take to the left side of the tank where the 2 pumps where running. I would even purposly put flakes there but some where reluctant to eat. Only one certain chromis to would dash to the left side, take a bite, and dash back.

So today I swittched the PH position to the very right side of the tank. I've been meaning to do this for more even flow and to see what would happen. Now the fish are SLOWLY, and I mean SLOWLY exploring the other side. But since I moved the PH the chromis are slowly becoming aggressive. They try to bite each other because I can clearly see thier mouth opening. Chromis A will snap and Chromis B and B would snap back at A and so forth for a short bit. And then when my clowns snapped at my chromis, one of them actually snapped back standing up for himself.

So basically does the noise of the impellars and quipment running have an effect of these fish? I have 2 clowns and 4 chromis. I know its alot for a tank based on whats been said on these forums but I was told since chormis don't add a great deal to the bio-load compared to most fish, I could keep a few more. And I wasn't worried about oxygen getting into the tank because my CSS65 solved that problem.

So does anyone have any ideas or thoughts?

I know people who have had to remove chromis because they are too aggressive, as for the equipment making them crazy; I doubt it.

Back
Top Bottom