Can fish die because of too much current?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hondachico

Aquarium Advice Freak
One of my chromis died today, could it be because I have too much current?

I highly doubt it. It's virtually impossible to recreate the amount of current that's on the reefs where chromis come from in our tanks.

I was just wondering because his back part of the body was like paralyzed and I thought that was it because he would only move his front part when he was about to die.

Ok thanks for the input just wanted to make sure, also could a tank have too much flow?

Too much flow exists if corals are being blasted and negatively affected. Also if fish have a very hard time swimming not able to keep. Flow is very beneficial to a reef tank and the more the better until inhabitants start to become affected. Softies and lps prefer lower flow but can also do well in higher flow areas. Sps prefer high to very high flow. Flow keeps things from settling and keeps organics suspended so the skimmer can remove them. Always want to eliminate dead spots.

Hondachico said:
Ok you think about 2100 gph in a 55 is too much?

Nope not too much at all. The general recommendation is 30-50 times water volume in gallons per hour

55x30 = 1650gph
55x50 = 2750gph

So you are between the recommended starting point. I easily have 50-60 times flow in my 29g

Ok perfect then because I have two koralias, one 750 and a 1050 and then a 600 gph return pump.

You may want some more flow depending on what your keeping and dead spots. Takes some experimentation but your at a good starting point. Just remember you want no spots but you also dont want corals blasted so its a happy medium you have to find.

I know that there are places that my sand is higher than in other parts because of the flow and everyonce in a while I see little tornadoes that form with the sand, is that good or bad?

You dont want to be blowing your sand around. Ways to fix this include moving the powerhead directing it up more away from the sand or my favorite which includes using a larger grain sand. Super fine .5-1micron sand is hard to work with. It blows around easier and is harder to siphon.

For the easy fix just adjust the powerhead away from the sand a little.

Back
Top Bottom