Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-25-2005, 10:11 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Can I add an Anemone?

I'm thinking of getting rid of one of my bigger pieces of fake-decorations and adding an Anemone for my Clown. I'll more than likely add some more Cured LR, which is a little tricky since I have a Hex tank, but I'll figure that out. I'm also about to add a cleaner shrimp to help agitate the sand surface and keep my fish clean.

Anyway, I believe my Clown is a Tomato Clown, but I'm not sure. It is a deep colored red with one white strip near it's head, but not as dark-colored red as other pictures of tomato clowns. If this is indeed a Tomato clown, what type of Anemone would he take to?

Also, is an Anemone a good idea with the other fish I have (see sig)?

Any help would be appreciated.

1 Yellow Tail Damsel
1 3-inch Domino
1 Yellow Tang
1 Picasso Trigger
1 Green Wrasse
1 Tomato Clown
1 Coral Beauty
taz291819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 12:41 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

well, for starters what kind of lighting do you have and at what wattage? because to have an anemone one needs some pretty good lighting. also, how tall is your tank? because hex tanks are usually on the taller side of things and the rule of thumb for lighting (like haw many watts per gallon) isn't necessarily based on tank capacity (gallons) but on the depth of the tank.

Old 03-26-2005, 11:59 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooster
well, for starters what kind of lighting do you have and at what wattage? because to have an anemone one needs some pretty good lighting. also, how tall is your tank? because hex tanks are usually on the taller side of things and the rule of thumb for lighting (like haw many watts per gallon) isn't necessarily based on tank capacity (gallons) but on the depth of the tank.
Could one place anemones towards the upper portion of the tank if they have LR that goes up pretty high. I am thinking of eventually adding anemones in my FOWLR which is 36" high but I have LR that towers towards the surface so I figured they could be placed pretty high in the tank.

Also, any ideas from anyone on the original post as far as what fish may bother an anemone?

Thanks,
Pete R.

1x Dolphin AS2100
1x Dolphin AM4700
72" Aqualight Pro: 4x96 Actinic, 3x150 HQI Halides, 4x1 moonlights
AquaC EV-1000 Protein Skimmer run by Dolphin AS2100
AquaUV 114 watt UV Sterilizer
2x Jager 250w
...Work in progess.....
peterac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 03:45 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooster
I have 3 18" bulbs total.

2 x 15watt Coralife 100% Actinic 03 Blue (Peaks at 420nm)
1 x 15watt Marine-Glo (gives blue color to water & promotes reef life)

Is this what you call RFL?

I can attach pics if needed.
1 Yellow Tail Damsel
1 3-inch Domino
1 Yellow Tang
1 Picasso Trigger
1 Green Wrasse
1 Tomato Clown
1 Coral Beauty
Old 03-26-2005, 05:47 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

That is definately not enough light for an anemone. You would need to upgrade to at least 3-5 watts per gallon. That sounds like a tomato clown as mine isn't as dark as some I've seen either. Having the picasso trigger might cause you problems with keeping your nitrates down as they are messy eaters and you must keep them well fed. This might not be the best situation to put an anemone in as they require very good water conditions. I say you should probably wait and see if you want to upgrade your lights and move the trigger- it is going to need a bigger tank as it grows anyway. HTH
Old 03-26-2005, 06:57 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yeah, my nitrates tend to sit around 5-10ppm. The wrasse and trigger are very messy eaters.

I may just have to wait until I get another tank.
1 Yellow Tail Damsel
1 3-inch Domino
1 Yellow Tang
1 Picasso Trigger
1 Green Wrasse
1 Tomato Clown
1 Coral Beauty
Old 03-26-2005, 09:32 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hi taz291819,

Just wondering: DO you have a clean up crew in this tank? I am planning on getting a Picasso Trigger and I am holding off on getting snails and crabs because I am afraid the Trigger will eat the inverts. What have you found?

Thanks,
Pete R.

1x Dolphin AS2100
1x Dolphin AM4700
72" Aqualight Pro: 4x96 Actinic, 3x150 HQI Halides, 4x1 moonlights
AquaC EV-1000 Protein Skimmer run by Dolphin AS2100
AquaUV 114 watt UV Sterilizer
2x Jager 250w
...Work in progess.....
peterac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 09:49 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

As of yet, I don't. Tomorrow I plan on getting a cleaner shimp, so I'll see how it goes.

As I watch the fish, I try to determine a 'pecking-order', though it's kind of weird.

The 3-inch Domino always goes after the Trigger, but seems to 'protect' the Clown.

The Trigger always goes after the wrasse.

The wrasse always goes after the yellow-tail damsel, but the damsel is just too fast.

No one messes with the Tang, he's pretty much King of the Tank.

The past two days, the Trigger and the Domino have been messing with the Mandarin Dragonette, which the past 4 months they've left him alone. Heck, one of them took a chunk of his right fin and some of his tail, hopefully he'll survive. I think the Trigger did it.
1 Yellow Tail Damsel
1 3-inch Domino
1 Yellow Tang
1 Picasso Trigger
1 Green Wrasse
1 Tomato Clown
1 Coral Beauty
Old 03-27-2005, 12:24 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I would seriously reconsider any inverts with your trigger. There are some triggers that are more invert safe like the bluethroat but the picasso is definately not one of them. If you put any snails,crabs or shrimp chances are very high that they will be an expesive meal for your trigger. Sorry, I just want to help.
Old 03-27-2005, 09:36 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Your shrimp will probably last 5 minutes with that Trigger.

Tags
anemone

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com