Can I add an Anemone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taz291819

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm thinking of getting rid of one of my bigger pieces of fake-decorations and adding an Anemone for my Clown. I'll more than likely add some more Cured LR, which is a little tricky since I have a Hex tank, but I'll figure that out. I'm also about to add a cleaner shrimp to help agitate the sand surface and keep my fish clean.

Anyway, I believe my Clown is a Tomato Clown, but I'm not sure. It is a deep colored red with one white strip near it's head, but not as dark-colored red as other pictures of tomato clowns. If this is indeed a Tomato clown, what type of Anemone would he take to?

Also, is an Anemone a good idea with the other fish I have (see sig)?

Any help would be appreciated.

well, for starters what kind of lighting do you have and at what wattage? because to have an anemone one needs some pretty good lighting. also, how tall is your tank? because hex tanks are usually on the taller side of things and the rule of thumb for lighting (like haw many watts per gallon) isn't necessarily based on tank capacity (gallons) but on the depth of the tank.

Wooster said:
well, for starters what kind of lighting do you have and at what wattage? because to have an anemone one needs some pretty good lighting. also, how tall is your tank? because hex tanks are usually on the taller side of things and the rule of thumb for lighting (like haw many watts per gallon) isn't necessarily based on tank capacity (gallons) but on the depth of the tank.

Could one place anemones towards the upper portion of the tank if they have LR that goes up pretty high. I am thinking of eventually adding anemones in my FOWLR which is 36" high but I have LR that towers towards the surface so I figured they could be placed pretty high in the tank.

Also, any ideas from anyone on the original post as far as what fish may bother an anemone?

Thanks,
Pete R.

Wooster said:

I have 3 18" bulbs total.

2 x 15watt Coralife 100% Actinic 03 Blue (Peaks at 420nm)
1 x 15watt Marine-Glo (gives blue color to water & promotes reef life)

Is this what you call RFL?

I can attach pics if needed.

That is definately not enough light for an anemone. You would need to upgrade to at least 3-5 watts per gallon. That sounds like a tomato clown as mine isn't as dark as some I've seen either. Having the picasso trigger might cause you problems with keeping your nitrates down as they are messy eaters and you must keep them well fed. This might not be the best situation to put an anemone in as they require very good water conditions. I say you should probably wait and see if you want to upgrade your lights and move the trigger- it is going to need a bigger tank as it grows anyway. HTH

Yeah, my nitrates tend to sit around 5-10ppm. The wrasse and trigger are very messy eaters.

I may just have to wait until I get another tank.

Hi taz291819,

Just wondering: DO you have a clean up crew in this tank? I am planning on getting a Picasso Trigger and I am holding off on getting snails and crabs because I am afraid the Trigger will eat the inverts. What have you found?

Thanks,
Pete R.

As of yet, I don't. Tomorrow I plan on getting a cleaner shimp, so I'll see how it goes.

As I watch the fish, I try to determine a 'pecking-order', though it's kind of weird.

The 3-inch Domino always goes after the Trigger, but seems to 'protect' the Clown.

The Trigger always goes after the wrasse.

The wrasse always goes after the yellow-tail damsel, but the damsel is just too fast.

No one messes with the Tang, he's pretty much King of the Tank.

The past two days, the Trigger and the Domino have been messing with the Mandarin Dragonette, which the past 4 months they've left him alone. Heck, one of them took a chunk of his right fin and some of his tail, hopefully he'll survive. I think the Trigger did it.

I would seriously reconsider any inverts with your trigger. There are some triggers that are more invert safe like the bluethroat but the picasso is definately not one of them. If you put any snails,crabs or shrimp chances are very high that they will be an expesive meal for your trigger. Sorry, I just want to help.

Thanks for the advice, so what would be a good cleaning crew with my current fish?

btw, the Mandarin Dragonette didn't make it. This morning, he was barely moving flipping on his back, I went ahead and disposed of him, which is sad, because he was one of my favorites. I know that species is hard to keep, but he was great for the past 6-7 months.

Also, would him being in his condition cause my Ammonia to spike? My Nitrites are at 0, but my Ammonia is between 1-2, which normally is at 0. It was like this last night and this morning.

Thanks again.

While the trigger may not go for a stinging anemone (such as a carpet anemone), I would not risk it. Triggers are NOT reef safe and should not be housed with any inverts or anemones. You need to find and correct the source of your declining water parameters before considering adding anything else. Are you missing anything else?

Well, here's the deal. My mother and I bought this tank for my father for a Christmas gift (2003). He didn't do the best of job of upkeep on the tank and it looked terrible last October. Since I live next door to them, I took over.

The tank's base was CC and the water was very green/yellow. Every weekend for several months I did a 50% water change, but within 2 days the water would be green again. The PH/Ammonia/Nitrite levels were always fine, but the Nitrate and Phosphate were a little high. I came to the conclusion that the CC was the culprit.

Two and a half weeks ago I decided to switch to a LS base. I put all the fish in a holding-tank (Rubbermaid baby!) and drained the tank, removed the CC. I left the water that was in the Canister filter as is, didn't clean it. I added 40lbs LS and 10lbs of cleaned play sand purchased from my LFS. I also added two 3lb LRs. Filled the tank and let it sit for about 6 hours. After checking the levels, everything was perfect, so I re-introduced the fish. I also added a skimmer.

I think my Mandarian Dragonette died to due being attacked and starvation because I didn't see him eating as much as he did when I had CC. Feeding habits are identical.

I also think the rise in Ammonia is a mini-cycle. It did this after about the 3rd day of the new LS base. As of yesterday evening (Sunday), here are my levels:

PH 8.3
Ammonia 1
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5
Phosphate 0

If the ammonia isn't back to 0 by this evening, I'll do a 20% water change.

i would stay away from annemone since i havent heard anything good about them and personally had them die because of bad handling before i got it.

Back
Top Bottom