Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-08-2006, 06:38 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Quote:
Originally Posted by beano1
Since im getting ride of the cc, and its live now, would it be benificial to put some in one of my compartments of my filter.
Considering afishyonados' response, can you determine what type it is? If it is the non calcite you can put it in your filter media. I switched out mine 1/3 of my tank at a time. Some say 50% at a time, but I just wanted to be cautious.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 07:23 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

its the argonite kind

Old 10-09-2006, 10:32 AM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

I don't see why you can't use some in your filter. Just make sure to clean it on a regular basis in old SW.

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 10-09-2006, 12:05 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

You can leave it under the live rock. Just know that the finer grains will eventually work their way to the bottom.

When you add your pre-rinsed sand, put it back into small bags, sink it to the bottom, then slowly open the bags and gently spread out. This will avoid spreading out a cloud of dust that would otherwise be a potential hazard to the health of your inhabitants.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:08 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

hmm. I never thought about putting sand into atank like that. I dont run sand in my SW, but I do in my large FW tank.

Another method I have found that works somewhat decent, if prolly not as good as afihyonados's idea is to fill a small cup with the sand, top it off with tank-safe water, then slowly sink it to the bottom of the tank and literally pour the sand out.

And I agree with them, I tried to add a black sand on top of a black gravel, similiar to adding sand on topof argonite, my gravel was at the top of the substrate in a few days, as your argonite would be.

I actually set a collinder in the bottom of my tank and scooped the subtrate up and put it in the collinder, swirled it aorund some, the sand went back to the bottom of the tank, the gravel staye din the collinder and I was able to remove it from the tank.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:14 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarred Darque
Another method I have found that works somewhat decent, if prolly not as good as afihyonados's idea is to fill a small cup with the sand, top it off with tank-safe water, then slowly sink it to the bottom of the tank and literally pour the sand out.
I used a bowl. I only had a sand storm for a few hours. It didn't seem to bother the fish too much.

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott

Tags
sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com