Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-02-2006, 09:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Can i add sand Still?

I want to add some fine white sand on top of my crushed coral( the cc is just not doing it for me) but i have fish in the tank. If i can still add sand, how do i put it in the tank with out harming the fish?

Old 10-02-2006, 10:00 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

How much crushed coral do you have? I would take out the crushed coral and replace it with sand a little at a time. If you put the fine sand on top of the crushed coral it would work itself to the bottom and then you end up with crushed coral on top and fine sand on the bottom. I have seen most tanks have either or but not both because of this.

Old 10-02-2006, 10:54 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I will be happy when they dont sell crushed coral and base rock anymore......My LFS refuses to sell anyone base rock or crushed coral!

I would take out a little and add a little at the same time. Be careful with fish!
Old 10-02-2006, 11:34 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelscrx
How much crushed coral do you have? I would take out the crushed coral and replace it with sand a little at a time. If you put the fine sand on top of the crushed coral it would work itself to the bottom and then you end up with crushed coral on top and fine sand on the bottom. I have seen most tanks have either or but not both because of this.
Exactly, this is what happened when I tried to add some in one area. I am waiting to move then I am going to replace my cc.

Tank: 90 Gal SW Reef in the making

See my info for setup and inhabitant details:
afilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 10:23 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I had a mixture of CC and sand. I actually had to sift out the sand/CC in the tank, with fish and LR. I did about 1/3 of the tank at a time, over about a 6 week period. I wanted to give the sand stirrers a chance to migrate, I also got lazy and didn't do anything for a week or so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeDemTails
I will be happy when they dont sell crushed coral and base rock anymore.
Base rock is an awesome way to save money vs. LR, as it will become live. I actually just bough some and am in the process of breaking it up and putting it in my filter, instead of the media. CC is a personal choice, some like it and others (like me) do at first and then decide different at a later time.
My suggestion.....do about 1/3 of your substrate at a time. This will also keep the funky stuff from fouling your tank, IME. I also agree, the sand on the top will sink to the bottom and you will still end up with the CC on the top.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 11:48 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
I will be happy when they dont sell crushed coral and base rock anymore......My LFS refuses to sell anyone base rock or crushed coral!

I would take out a little and add a little at the same time. Be careful with fish!
Why do you have a problem with base rock?
Old 10-03-2006, 06:20 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have base rock in one of my tanks an I wish I would have never put it in there.....it looks like crap for years!

Also, my cycle was 3 times faster wit LR oppose to 50/50 LR and base rock mix n my other tank!
Old 10-03-2006, 06:33 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Quote:
Also, my cycle was 3 times faster wit LR oppose to 50/50 LR and base rock mix n my other tank!
Yeah, that is a possible downside, the beneficial bacteria might take a while to "migrate". But it is a cost effective method, IMO, I wish I would have known about it. I pay $8.99/LBS at my LFS.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 12:35 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thanks for the input. Since im getting ride of the cc, and its live now, would it be benificial to put some in one of my compartments of my filter. I dont really want to get ride of it all, it cost me so much. The way im going to eventually have my tank set up will be to have most of my LR on the right side, then kind of slope down to a kind of open space, making it look like a naturall shelf. CaN I leave the cc where the Lr is too?
Old 10-08-2006, 12:47 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

There are two different types of crushed coral available. Not all crushed coral is the devil.
Calcite based crushed coral is bad. Mmmkay? It releases the carbonates too quickly, and becomes so holy it will begin to become a nitrate sink. This is bad. Removal of all calcite based crushed coral is good.
Aragonite crushed coral is good. Mmmkay? It too releases carbonates, albeit slowly, and is much more dense; leaving very few holes or pockets to become a nitrate repository.
If you have a blend of aragonite, at multiple varying grain sizes, the anaerobic byproducts of your sand bed will be more able to degass than one with a singular uniform grain size.
Calcite is the devil.

Tags
sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com