Can I black out my tank for a week?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishmanJosh

Aquarium Advice Regular
I currently have a very bad algae problem and have turned off the lights for 2 days to try and kill it (I have tried everything possible and its getting even worse). I have noticed that it is definatley slowing the growth and its going a much paler colour and is losing all is little stems... I keep the lights on for 1/2 an hour during feeding, and I have nothing that needs lots of light (corals etc). I worry that the parameters might get screwed up if I keep the lights off for another 5 or 6 days, as I have heard that the PH drops when the lights are off - so will my fish (1 Royal Gramma and 1 Clown) be okay? I also have an Emerald/Mithrax Crab, Sand-Sifting Starfish and hermits and snails.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_4229.jpg
    IMG_4229.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_4228.jpg
    IMG_4228.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 88
The light is, for the most part, aesthetic. Your tank can handle it, the only things i'd worry about in the dark are corals. Another good option would be to pull that rock out and scrub it to try to remove hair algae prior to a blackout.

I have tried scrubbing/pulling and anything else but it just grows back in the next day : /

thanks for the comment tho :)

I would not pull the rock to scrub the algae as this just provides fuel for more growth. If anything, just siphon the cyano and pull hair algae by hand. Make sure you vacuum the substrate and it wouldn't hurt to incorporate a 2-part Calcium/Alkalinity system as well, which will help alleviate your algae problem. How long do you keep your lights on for now? I wouldn't black out the system for an entire week, but maybe 3 days off, one day on, 3 days off, etc.

I really like Innovators advice. It`s spot on and I really like the 3 days off and one day on suggestion.

Back
Top Bottom