Can I cut the bottom of a Xenia stalk ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RainSalt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought a little Xenia a couple of months back and now I have about 6 of them. Which doesnt bother me at all. I hope to attach the colonies to a flat rock and use a magnet on one side and a magnet outside the tank to sort of have them grow on the walls. (Or at least the flat rocks)

I also have my beautiful Condy anemone. As with any Condy, it likes to move every once in a while. Its been sitting in same spot for about 2 months and last week it decided to be adventurous. As you probably can guess, my Condy has been stinging the Xenia.

Here is the problem. 2 branches of xenia is attached to a huge 15 lbs rock. I broke off pieces that I could with pliers and glued them elsewhere. This piece? No such luck. I do not have a fragging kit or any type of those awesome looking rock cutting machines.
So can I use a scalpel to cut the bottom of the stalk of the Xenia and attempt to try to put it elsewhere?
Or should I attempt to cut the rock?

I do not mind moving things around in my tank to accommodate the condy anemone. Its been suggested that I give it away since they can be troublesome, but I honestly love the anemone and my brothers have a blast feeding it. And I get to explain why the (not so smart) clownfish hides in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yes you can cut it like grass .. If you want to grow it on glass use some super glue gel to stick it to the glass .. It's like a weed scalpal the bit off the rock and glue it . As for the enenome mine goes round his rock every couple of days they are good fun and I would keep it

You can also peel the xenia off the rock. I wanted to be rid of that weed coral in my 90 and just yanked at it and it gave way. I passed it along to a new reefer who was really grateful. lol

Oh wow. Thanks! I ended up shattering the rock everywhere (I tried using pliers) and now I have 4-5 different branches all over the tank.
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom