can I do all live rocks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr.sneakysnacky

Aquarium Advice Regular
so I am fine spending about 180 on live rocks....or maybe just a little less, but so far I thinking about getting 30 pounds of live rock for a 29G tank and was wondering if that was ok from a LPS?

Yes it is ok but very expensive. This hobby can get expensive quick, I don't know where you are from but look at local forum and craigslist for live rock. I get mine that way and really haven't had much of a problem with finding it when I wanted it. Another way you can save is get base rock a lot of LFS has that too.

You are more like to get things in your rocks like crabs if you get it from the LFS. The one rock I bought at a store actually had a crab it it, I got it because it was just the right size to fit in a pico I was giving as a gift. Going with base rock helps cut down on the chances of that.

I did a mix of live rock and base rock when I started my tank. Got it all from a lfs but got lucky. The live rock was extremely well established and now after 4 months you can hardly tell the difference between the base rock and the original live rock.

i have to drive about 30 minutes to get base rock. my LFS which is like 10 minutes from my house and a rock throw away from work only have live rock or FW base rock not to mention they are also charging a dollar more a pound for it and their fish are more expensive.

granted their tanks are a little more presentable but at the end of the day when you're paying $90 for a blue dory tang as compared to $30 most people would take the drive

i have to drive about 30 minutes to get base rock. my LFS which is like 10 minutes from my house and a rock throw away from work only have live rock or FW base rock not to mention they are also charging a dollar more a pound for it and their fish are more expensive.

granted their tanks are a little more presentable but at the end of the day when you're paying $90 for a blue dory tang as compared to $30 most people would take the drive

LOL I have several LFS that are all about the same distance away. Unfortunately, they are ALL 30 minutes away. But then again, so is the nearest grocery store. LOL

I like getting all LR also. I like the variety of life that comes with it. Granted you dont have to and BR works just as good as far as biological filtration. When I got mine I bought 200 lbs at 8.99 a lb. You can do the math. It gets pretty expensive.

i would go with what joy said, if you're set on using all live rock look on a local forum or kijiji or craigslist for someone taking down their tanks. you could probably find the rock cheaper

So whats wrong with having crabs? Like what kinda crap are we talking about?

Bristle worms? What is all this! haha I am just starting a fowlr tank and I now you guys are making me think twice!

So I mean bristle worms and crabs are bad? my LFS is about 5 m-10 minutes away so not a big deal but I mean if I order BR then I gotta wait like a week? and I started up the cycling just wtih a filter right now long with sand

Back
Top Bottom