can i eventually get a sting ray?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boggerscott

Aquarium Advice Regular
this may sound stupid but i have never seen a sting ray at a store ,is this an option . im working on doing a salt fish tank and wondering if sting rays are possible whats the ups and downs?

sting Rays are only for the most Experienced and they also require Very little flow along with a min of a 300gal tank... They are extremely hard to keep thriving for a long period of time.. I would suggest not getting one and I am sure others will agree.. I have seen them in my LFS as well and have even pet them.. But Creatures like this are better left in the ocean..

HTH<
James

Like James said stingrays rtequire lots of surface are and sandy substrate with little or no decorations in the tank. wide shallow tanks of large volume are best. There are usually several species of stingray offered in the aquarium trade.

There are varieties of freshwater rays that require less space, but even small rays get very wide. Large circular tanks work well, like ponds.

Not to mention that the rays are mega-expensive! I had a LFS in Chicago selling theirs for $1K for a ray that spanned about 10-12 inches across. They would only sell them to very experienced reefers with large tanks because they wanted to make sure that the rays were being well kept. So, if you really want to start a SW tank that will handle a ray, be prepared to spend several thousand dollars for a very cool animal. :D

Not to mention that the rays are mega-expensive! I had a LFS in Chicago selling theirs for $1K for a ray that spanned about 10-12 inches across
I can get a pair locally for about 90.00ea so about 180.00 for the pair.. My LFS has had them for the last 4 months or so and they are still thriving..
They would only sell them to very experienced reefers
Wish that was the case with my LFS they will sell to anyone with the cash...

FWIW Liveaquaria.com sells them between 70.00 and 80.00 IMO that LFS in Chicago must have some EXTREMELY rare ones or they are rippin anyone off that wants to buy them..

HTH,
James

cj,
Their prices are a little higher, but they sell some of the best fish in the area. Maybe they were that expensive because they were trained to eat from your hand.

Back
Top Bottom