Can I get a shark?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GoogleMarketing101

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 140 gallon tank with very little rock in it, just a bit in the middle. Can I get a bamboo shark? Will he/she be happy?

I've read a minimum of 180 but I can't see how a shark that can grow to 3.5-4 ft long will enjoy growing up in 180 gallons of water in a 6-8ft by 18-24inch enclosed space.

Mine is more rounded of a corner tank, and I think that it would be perfect for a small shark...

I have spoken to a few people and they said that they don't really get to be 3 feet long unless they are in a big tank.

I dunno.......FAMA magazine...or was it Aquarium Fish International? ..anyway, one of them ran a 5 pg article on baboo sharks, and their captive care. It's my understanding that they all get to be over 3 feet long, no matter the tank size. Aquarists that keep them usually end up upsizing their tanks to accomodate the fast growing fish.

Personally I wouldn't have a shark in anything less then about 500g. They need lots of room. The "minimum" tank size is best guess and not always accurate.

I too do not recommend a shark in such a small tank. They can attain 4ft. in the wild and eventually they will extend to the 3ft+/- range, it just takes time since their growth rate tends to slow as they age. That being said, all sharks need quite a bit of room to maneuver along with extensive filtration and water volume/circulation. Most of your standard aquariums sold are not suitable, dimension-wise, to keep any elasmobranch species so if you are a serious buyer I would look into purchasing a custom built tank of around 1000g+. Many of your benthic sharks, such as the "bamboo" may not cruise open waters like many requiems, but appropriate conditions must still be met or eventually the succeptibility to disease and almost guaranteed physical trauma are greatly heightened.

Yes, after research you all are correct. I am sticking with Eels and Lionfish along with a trigger and tang.

Mine is more rounded of a corner tank, and I think that it would be perfect for a small shark...

I have spoken to a few people and they said that they don't really get to be 3 feet long unless they are in a big tank.

Those people also either A. Did not have a shark or B. Had the shark but it did not live as long as it could have in the larger aquarium. If the fish does not grow to its fullest length or around it... they have not lived their entire expected life span. I could cram a shark into a five gallon bucket and it my stay alive for a day or I could go somewhere like boston aquarium and see the same shark that has been living for many many many years...Your choice..

P.S. I dont have a shark!!:cool:

Back
Top Bottom