Can i get a triggerfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

slitherbomb

Aquarium Advice Addict
Have a 75g fowlr, and REALLY want a fish with big personality. I heard triggers are nice, and they will even let you touch them so I'm really interested in one. Right now I have a maroon clown, yellow tang, kole tang, snowflake eel, and a chromis. The chromis will be moved to my 40g tank. Am I able to get a trigger? Any suggestions for one that'll be fine in a 75g?

Also, one for question, triggers eat all inverts, right? I have 2 cleaner shrimp, 3 peppermint, a few hermits, an emerald crab, some assorted snails and 1 large tiger cowrie. Would these get eaten?

My friends have a niger trigger that ate all her small snails and every shrimp she had as well.

But I;m sure huma will chime in, he's a trigger nut lol

I honestly don't mind that. I could move all my shrimp and snails into my 40g as well. I want a full on predatory tank.

I wouldn't put one in a 75,,no trigger i know of stays under 10 inches,,and they are non stop swimmers ..mine swim from lights on to lights off,,and even after that...Yes every invert will be gone!!(and maybe new fish additions,my humu ate 3 fish i tried lately)
A side note: Humu's are very slow growers ,,clowns are fast IME,,my clown has caught up to and passed my humu in size,,the humu is a year older too..
So if you KNEW you were going to upgrade, a humu would be OK in a 75 for a year or 2 IMO
I love triggers too(y)

Also,no way i'd try to pet them,,i have been bit 3 times just trying to feed them
my triggers chomping at air.. - YouTube

What about a Niger trigger? Can it do in a 75g? We're probably moving to a larger house when our lease is up next April or may, and I'll probably buy a 125 or bigger.

Sure ,if you know your upgrading within a year, then any trigger will do..I do know of people keeping inverts and nigers together too..
I have had 2 in my 125 over a year and i knew i'd be upgrading again...and the time is very,very near:dance:

Do you think it'll be compatible with the fish I have?

Also that video is hilarious. I'll be cautious about putting in my hands LOL

You do have a semi- aggressive group ,and i would actually be worried about them picking on any new additions ..Nigers are" thought" to be more laid back and peaceful of the triggers,,he might get pushed around in the beginning...A 75 is tight for what you have already and adding a trigger could get ugly,because i honestly think you'll need a more aggressive trig to run with your group...

Honestly, the only aggressive fish has been the yellow tang, and it was only aggressive towards the kole tang for the first few days. The fish aren't very big, the biggest one (besides eel) is the maroon clown at about 4-1/2 inches. The way I arranged my rock makes it very open and there is a lot of swimming space.

I found a pic on my phone from about 3 weeks ago. I've moved the nem to the 40g but that's the only changes.

Attachments

• image-415620822.jpg
    image-415620822.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 96
Yeah,it is nice and open...A small trigger should do fine for a little bit.
How long has that maroon been in,,mine is just as mean, if not meaner than my triggers...surprised he isn't aggressive....
Also,i don't want to sound rude,,but is that HOB your only filtration..Triggers are messy eaters and poopers:lol:,,and with an eel and 2 tangs already ,thats a lot of bio-load

Yeah, it is the only filtration for now lol. I am turning it into a refugium and am going to be purchasing a hob protein skimmer. My nitrates rarely go above 20 after 2 weeks so something is going right lol

My clown is really only aggressive towards other clowns. It has honestly never shown aggression towards any other fish, very laid back fish.

I don't want to tell you yes or no,,but if it was me and i knew an upgrade was in the future .......

I'd do it(y),but,your not me,or whatever..,,, IDK what i mean:lol:

Money is not a problem, I just honestly cannot see myself paying $550 for a fish like I've seen. $200 is my limit unless it's the coolest freaking thing ever in the world lol.

Well,,nigers and humus are a dime a dozen,,,clowns are pretty common too,,but not as many people have em ,,because there about 100 bucks and up..
Look at a sargassum trigger too,,,I like those a lot too...Also said to be invert safe

Back
Top Bottom