Can i get anything else?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tangs are distance swimmers. They like to go as far as they can without turning. Without that long stretch they get cramped in and stressed. For fish that are already easily stressed, you start setting yourself up for failure via ich.

To tag on with the dwarf angels, I have a coral beauty in my 55 reef. Hasn't really hurt my coral, from softies to sps, but he has nipped at them. In hindsight, I'd ditch him in a minute for something else.

In terms of puffers, the only one I'm aware of that is closest to being reef safe is the blue spotted puffer. Beautiful puffer, but loves to eat clams and would prob make a meal if any inverts in the tank too. I'd have one in my reef, as I don't house crabs/shrimp with my marine betta, but having clams is more worth while for me.

So would a kole tang work? Or a tomini? Any tang that would work i am open to. Just want a tang!

In a 37g tank no there aren't any that would work sadly.

In a 60g cube I would say no as well. The cubes aren't made for big swimmers like tangs are.

There's not much difference between a 40b and a cube as far as stocking possibilities go. Tangs are a special case as they need a lot of side to side swimming space. The small tangs need a 75g tank which puts you at 4ft long and 18 inches wide. The medium tangs need 125g which is 6ft long. And finally the laarge tangs need 180g which I'm not sure on dimensions for that.

I wouldn't say that. That is a nice sized cube with lots of possibilities. Once you have a tank going you always want a bigger one anyway.

Well i was hoping for somthing a little bigger, but this means that all i can get is what i already have and a few more small common fish. If i made it a fish only system could i get a dwarf lion, a snowflake moray, and a some other stuff i havent thought about yet? Any suggestions!

You could do a dwarf lion but they will usually eat any other smaller fish around them. Check out a snowflake blenny and mccoskers flasher Wrasse. They aren't very common fish and are absolutely beautiful.

The eel however is a little big for a tank that size.

You could do a dwarf lion but they will usually eat any other smaller fish around them. Check out a snowflake blenny and mccoskers flasher Wrasse. They aren't very common fish and are absolutely beautiful.

Live aquaria says it would be ok and they are minimum 50g, my most trusted lfs also says it would be ok

I have a starry blenny in my 37g, arent the snowflake and starry the same?

Ahh yep. You could also try a blue reef chromis. You never dis however answer about your nutrient levels in the tank. What are they at?

Angler would be something different that could defo work and with dwarf lions eel and anglers you can still build a reef just no inverts

Angler would be something different that could defo work and with dwarf lions eel and anglers you can still build a reef just no inverts

I thought that anglers, eels, and lions werent reef safe? That is what live aquaria said... And what is defo?

I thought that anglers, eels, and lions werent reef safe? That is what live aquaria said... And what is defo?

Lions eat anything that can get in their mouth... Which is a lot. To keep them you really need q very specific stocking or you're gonna lose all your fish. A snowflake eel is reef safe but its main choice in food is inverts so again, no clean up crew or shrimp.

A lot of people say 6 foot I've never kept one but they grow fairly big and need a lot of swimming room so I'd say a 4 foot tank minimum. Maybe a kole but I'm sure someone who has more experience with koles would be able to help

I have a 75 gal ( 4 foot ) and I have had a kole tang since the start .
I now have a orange shoulder and a powder blue . Not advisable and I shouldn't have they are very aggressive to any other fish I have .
Very aggressive at feeding time .
But they all get along now .
No signs of stress or illness .
I see why they say 6 foot long tank though .

Any other suggestions for the FOWLR? Maybe some wrasses? Or a angler fish? What about a fox face!

I have a Foxface in my 75 .
For a venomous fish it's a wimp and let's the tangs bully it .
They are very calm , peaceful fish ,
Good at eating algae .
As for compatibility .
Live aquaria is a good resource but they also go with minimum size and bare minimum requirements .
Those are based in having only that one fish .
Different fish will either get along or fight with others .
I was told after having 2 clowns and a anemone they will kill a third ( this is what my LFS said ) kole tangs aren't aggressive ?
Yes they are equally aggressive as my powder blue

I have a Foxface in my 75 .
For a venomous fish it's a wimp and let's the tangs bully it .
They are very calm , peaceful fish ,
Good at eating algae .
As for compatibility .
Live aquaria is a good resource but they also go with minimum size and bare minimum requirements .
Those are based in having only that one fish .
Different fish will either get along or fight with others .
I was told after having 2 clowns and a anemone they will kill a third ( this is what my LFS said ) kole tangs aren't aggressive ?
Yes they are equally aggressive as my powder blue

So can i get a foxface? Or no? And any other suggestions of nice sized fish for a reef?

image-908286112.jpg

In the end you can stick with what ever you want to .
I know mine is 5" long the one spot Foxface Rabbitfish is the smallest one and still requires 70gal or bigger .
They are beautiful ,
I got mins for free as a rescue from a online classified add .
It was too big for their tank .
They are cheap to purchase I'm a little scared of the venomous barbs

Back
Top Bottom