Can i have a MANTIS SHRIMP???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

badfish

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have had my tank up for 7 weeks now with no deaths, and very little invert deaths, just the usual hermits fighting over shells. I have also added more shells and no shells laying around have holes in them. I think i can hear a small click coming from my tank and am not sure what it is. Havent heard it until recently, and it be a newborn Mantis or Pistol Shrimp. I have a yellow watchman who is always on the bottom, and also Chromis that are on bottom and inbetween rocks at night and no deaths. Can i assume if the clicking is coming from something inside the tank its a pistol shrimp. i also heard that mantis shrimp from LR.com are less aggressive and often dont even hunt fish and inverts. Any Ideas??? BTW, the clicking is just one click, not a bunch in a row.

could be crabs or snails hitting the glass with their shells.. Could also be a manits.. set up a trap and see if you get lucky..

what ur having sounds exactly like the same as what i hear coming out of my tank, at night when i'm lying down to goto bed. at first i thought it was maybe the filter but its like random clicking every now and then. i listened to all my items like the filter,powerheads , but it was coming from inside the tank whatever it is i cant see what it is. maybe tonight i'll get a flashlight and play private eye :wink:

a buddy of mine has what i beleive is a mantis shrimp, and i heard the clicking that it makes, but his makes clicking a couple of times in a row. Mine is one click, why i think it maybe something with my skimmer. Only time will tell.

I'd set a trap and see what you've got... the worst that can happen is you trap some of your hermits, you can make a trap out of a regular soda bottle... just invert the mouth of the bottle so its like a funnel and of coarse remove all the labeling and glue... put some tastey raw shrimp or fish in there to catch them!

I thought the pistol shrimp made the clicking... I could be wrong though. Mantis shrimp are really creepy looking. Fluff could give you more info on the Mantis shrimps behavior.

I think that i may have a Mantis Shrimp, but I am not exactly sure. I hear the clicking noisy occasionally and Ive seen a "dark colored crawfish" like thing poking its head out every so often.

But my tank has been up and running for about 2 months now. I have 2 O clowns, a chromis, bi color angel, a dozen hermits, cleaner shrimp, and a dozen snails. Everything is still alive, sooo maybe its a pistol shrimp?

Badfish and i set a trap for the "mantis" shrimp but the only thing we caught was a cleaner shrimp and 3 hermits. I tried catchin it with a net but its way too fast and seems impossible to corner.

I dont mind keepin the mantis shrimp if it dosent harm any of my fish or inverts. Has anyone kept one safely in their tanks for an extended period of time?

yeah, i think 4 inch has a mantis, because it looks like a crayfish without any claws, it has bug eyes. I looked a pics of Pistols online and it looks like they have giant claws, i also saw pics of Manits and think it looks more like a Mantis, but why no deaths in his tank. Also his clicks a couple of times in a row, mine i only hear a click every so often.

Back
Top Bottom